Harman Accentra Insert - Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmitch

Mar 3, 2009
NY
My first post after a long time lurking. This is my third season with my Accentra insert, but its been giving me some odd problems this winter that a good cleaning doesn't seem to be helping. In January I started to notice that I was getting warmer air from the right side (facing the unit) than the left. Several cleanings did not remedy the problem. I used the brush and vacuum to get the exhaust tubes - especially the left side. It seems clean and no dust comes from the tube - is there any way to check to insure its not completely clogged?

Now, second problem (not sure if its related to the first). Lately, the unit has been starting fine, igniting and burning for an hour or so and then shutting down. Most often I get the '6 light' error code, although sometimes I get '5 lights'. I have tried switching between stove temp and room temp - with same result. I gave the unit another good cleaning; panels, heat exchange, burn pot, and ESP probe (which was in decent shape), but same result.

Desperate for some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

jdmitch said:
My first post after a long time lurking. This is my third season with my Accentra insert, but its been giving me some odd problems this winter that a good cleaning doesn't seem to be helping. In January I started to notice that I was getting warmer air from the right side (facing the unit) than the left. Several cleanings did not remedy the problem. I used the brush and vacuum to get the exhaust tubes - especially the left side. It seems clean and no dust comes from the tube - is there any way to check to insure its not completely clogged?

Now, second problem (not sure if its related to the first). Lately, the unit has been starting fine, igniting and burning for an hour or so and then shutting down. Most often I get the '6 light' error code, although sometimes I get '5 lights'. I have tried switching between stove temp and room temp - with same result. I gave the unit another good cleaning; panels, heat exchange, burn pot, and ESP probe (which was in decent shape), but same result.

Desperate for some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

If you hadnt told us that you cleaned that left tube well, Id say its plugged. Also the 6 blink error, another indicator a tube is plugged. Do a draft test, especially if you have a "new installation" draft test for a baseline....Im guessing a MUCH decreased draft. Id pull out the combustion fan, pull off the right observation cover opposite of the combustion fan, and look at the OTHER end of that left hand tube (you can see it from the inspection port).....Im guessing you have a plug in the end of the left hand tube. When brushing down that tube, you need to go ALL THE WAY IN with your brush........

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I will have a look at that tonight. I dont think I have ever removed the observation cover, but it makes sense - if its blocked it must be way back there. Quick question - you mentioned the right observation cover; does that mean there are two? and will I be able to clean it from that end if I do find blockage there? Thanks again for your help.

Jim

the combustion fan is on the left of the box, the observation port is on the right side, as you face the stove....just a flat piece of metal, held in place by two thumbscrews.....there will be a insulation backer there, take it out, throw it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.