Harman Advance feed auger not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I re read your posts. After jumping the vac switch did the stove fire up and run OK ??
All I did was turn it on for a few seconds and verified the auger was running. I didn’t think I should run it like that.

leaf blower trick :)

If you jumpered the vacuum switch and the auger ran and you replaced the switch you don't have enough vacuum to trigger the switch.
Reasons for not enough vacuum are:
Vacuum switch hose is plugged at the fitting on the stove end. Clean and check that fitting with a wire.
Stove is dirty or plugged and needs to be cleaned. Most likely culprit.
Intake or exhaust piping is plugged. Second most likely culprit.
Combustion fan is not operating at the right rpm or at all. Needs new fan or if the fan is good then the board could be not delivering the proper voltage and then the board could be bad.
Fire and or ash door is leaking badly and the gaskets need to be replaced.

If the auger ran with the jumper in place the board is most likely doing it's job. The vacuum switch is the safety for the stove. Without proper airflow the stove won't be able to exhaust the combustion air and will start to backup any place there is a leak if that switch wasn't in the circuit. Also it would overheat possibly.
Ron

Like I said, I cleaned the stove out real good, scraped everything off, sucked it out with the leaf blower and went and blew it out with the compressor. That was a mess! I blew out the vac hose and heard air going through. That is open. I will replace both gaskets and have the board checked on Tuesday and report back.

Could be a bad vacuum switch. You can bypass it.
Unplug the stove before you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
Does the combustion blower come on during “test” mode? Mine does not.
I did replace both the fire door gasket and the ash pan gasket. That didn’t fix the problem. I am wondering if it is the combustion blower now. Could be the board though.

It’s the combustion blower. Jumped it and it just humms. Moved the fan blade and it took off. I will replace this Friday.

Reactions: Washed-Up
It’s the combustion blower. Jumped it and it just humms. Moved the fan blade and it took off. I will replace this Friday.
During all your troubleshooting did you not realize the combustion blower was not running? As soon as you turn it to stove temp or room temp the fan is the first thing to start. The fan closing the vac switch is the first thing that has to happen for the stove to light

Reactions: johneh
On that not sure where , but should have hose connected to it, and search part number for pic.. To Bypass vac switch- make a jumper wire with Male spade ends. Unplug unit, take a pic of wires on vac switch, note location, use jumper or something to connect 2 wires together . Restart. This is for trouble shooting only.....
I made the jumper and it worked. Even so it was not the vac switch. I had made a bad connection when I replaced the blower motor. Once I remade the blower motor connection everything worked. I guess the TEST setting works a little differently than the real world and thank you.

Reactions: Washed-Up