Harman Combustion Blower Bearings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
WNYS
Any other Harman owners replace the bearings on the combustion blower? In process of doing it, #608-2RS rubber sealed bearings. They are inexpensive bearings, hardest part so far is breaking loose the hex allen set screw on each end for the cooling fans with 5/64 hex allen wrench..

One of these days I'm will be doing that, that's I'm dreading! Stove is 9 yrs old. Still working like dream. Knock wood!!!

hardest part so far is breaking loose the hex allen set screw on each end for the cooling fans with 5/64 hex allen wrench

Did you get it all apart? If not, the screw threads may have loctite on them, in which case I have found that soaking them with PB blaster for awhile and then tightening a little and loosening the screws work for me at other application (auto mostly). You have to lightly rock it back and forth until it breaks loose. Slowly and carefully.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I would advise against using rubber seal in this application. you would be well served to spend the extra few bucks and get the zz, which will have metal seals on both sides. I thought of doing this, but ford the moment I just swapped out the unit, I may still as the old one worked fine, it was just a bit loud was all. please let us know how it goes.

Reactions: rona and Harmanizer
I would advise against using rubber seal in this application. you would be well served to spend the extra few bucks and get the zz, which will have metal seals on both sides.
Thanks, besides heat resistance what would be the advantage of metal seals ?

Thanks, besides heat resistance what would be the advantage of metal seals ?

The rubber is not meant for high heat applications. I service industrial printers that deal with rollers heated to 450 degrees on a regular basis. Just about all of these use metal sealed bearings in these applications including insulators so the bearing is not sitting directly on the shaft to avoid heat transfer. If the seal fails the bearing will fail also. Bearings are rated according to an Abec number. The higher the number the higher the quality the bearing for the combustion blower I would get the highest quality bearings I could as well as I would consider ceramic which means the steel balls internally are actually not steal but made of ceramic material and will never wear out.

Reactions: Harmanizer
The bearings I got have an ABEC of 3. The bearings on the OEM Harman combustion blower were rubber shield, with plastic spacers on the shaft between the bearing and armature, which I thought was odd.. Thanks for the info I'll check into other bearings..

There is a fan blade right beside each bearing,that motor would never get that hot unless there was fire outside the stove,as in house burning down.==c

Reactions: Lake Girl
Now I'm going to have to go check the replacement bearings I got for the blower on the Elena ... I know they were slightly different from the ones that were in there. I think they may have been steel both sides...

Well I ran into an issue, it's not a standard 608 bearing where the bore is too big. Harman blower used a "PEER" #608RS3123, bearing. Bore is a bit smaller.. 7.932mm instead of 8mm. . Not very popular, although I did find a vendor from PEER Bearing website..

Yea,about 3 thou diff.If was a standard 608 skateboard brg,would not have the long suffix.
Yes apparently the suffix of "3123" means .3123 inch or 7.932mm ID...Duh... Will update

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
Got the new metal shielded bearings Peer 608-ZZ-3123-C3, installed on motor & reassembled for a backup. Couldn't find rubber shielded. Limited vendors for that application

Update, installed rebuilt combustion motor with new bearings as the 2 year old Gleason-Avery replacement was noisy. All good & quiet., Ordered more bearings.. 608-ZZ-3123-C3 (steel shields) and 608-2RSP-3123-C3 (plastics shields)..

Last edited:
I contacted Gleason Avery, they only sell complete assembly. I need a set of the bearings, but there is a rubber isolator around the outside of each bearing. One of mine is cracked. So I'm kind of hung. I added a photo.
Update, installed rebuilt combustion motor with new bearings as the 2 year old Gleason-Avery replacement was noisy. All good & quiet., Ordered more bearings.. 608-ZZ-3123-C3 (steel shields) and 608-2RSP-3123-C3 (plastics shields)..

Attachments

• IMG_20201023_111042257.jpg
    IMG_20201023_111042257.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 226
Me, I would carefully super glue that rubber isolator together since not available and try that. I've got a new aftermarket combustion blower just in case..So I can just swap it out with little down time..

Great info, I kept my OEM combustion fan and now have the info to swap out the RS bearings with ZZ