Harman Magnum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veedub

Jun 4, 2016
Moretown, VT
I have a lead on a Harman Magnum Coal Stoker for what I think is a pretty good deal ($500) the guy took it on trade for some work he did and knows really nothing about it and wants nothing to do with it. Looks to be in good shape from what I have seen in pictures. Is there anything I should look at in particular when I go to see it in person? Is there a way to test the auger with the stove empty?

On the operating instructions tag it says "For use with coal or any pelletized fuel" I am a bit confused by this as from what I can find in the manual online, and confirmed by harman customer service when I called them, it can only burn rice coal. Anyone know what was meant by this tag?

The space I am heating is a 1500 square foot building. Its basically a 4 season hunting camp I own next door to my house, that I am converting to a house for my parents to live in. The building is on posts and only moderately well insulated. I was planning to put a pellet heater in for them as the oil furnace up there is terribly inefficient. But I found this deal on this coal stove and the more research I do it seems like this is a better option for the space. The camp is 30x60' cut in half down the long way. The front room where the stove will go is basically one big open 15x60' long kitchen/living space where the stove will be mostly centered. There are 3 light fixtures fairly evenly spaced on the ceiling in this space I figure I will swap all 3 to fans to get the air circulating better. The back side is a bathroom and 3 bedrooms off the large room. If the BTU ratings on the Harman are accurate I believe I should be doing pretty well to heat this space.

Does anyone use this stove how many tons a year do you go through?

By the way I heat my own house (an 1860's 1.5 story cape) with an old L. Lange 6302 wood stove and a 1930's era Stewart cook stove which can burn coal or wood and also has a propane oven, broiler, and 4 propane burners.

Welcome. Have you tried the coal forum over at www.nepacrossroads.com? There should be a lot of Harman Magnum owners there.

Status
Not open for further replies.