Harman p series size for my house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk but it sounded like the op had been using two stoves and if so I think the bigger one would be what he'd want to replace two.

I took away that the OP has used each of those stoves, but not at the same time - could be wrong though.

hard to believe he can't heat a 1550 ft rancher with a stove rated 800 to 2400 . he said he didn't want to buy too much stove. thats why i thought a 43 was enough

Yeah, I hear you. But, it is hard to know what "too much" stove is for each individual house. In my case, the P61a should have easily heated my 950 sq/ft main floor and 560 sq/ft basement (heck, a P43 should have been able to do it). Didn't work out that way though. Of course now I have way too much stove for the basement, and enough stove for the main floor - for my situation.

I don't think anyone is saying a P43 couldn't heat 1500 sq/ft - and probably he would be okay with that. But it is always good to give options - and reasons for those options.

I know what you are saying, when i bought my mini i really wanted the p43 but couldn't because of clearance issues. I was just trying to heat the family room but was pleasantly surprised with a small fan it took care of my whole house. I guess being a rancher and not having to move heat up or down stairs made a big difference

So, according to you guys, the p43 shouldn't even exist?

Edit: also, for what it's worth, the op said the Nc 30 was more than adequate while being rated 2,200 square feet and the p43 being rated at up to 2,400 square feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrmojo182

Edit: also, for what it's worth, the op said the Nc 30 was more than adequate while being rated 2,200 square feet and the p43 being rated at up to 2,400 square feet.
no... P43 is harmans smallest BTU pellet stove unless they still make the P38 which is also 43K BTU's but doesn't have auto Ignition.

Overkill in BTU size only becomes a problem when dealing with Air conditioning as the cooled air in a small room with an oversized AC will cause that air to blow back to the AC thermostat which will determine that the room is cooled there by shutting down too soon and never getting the humidity out of the room. [ damp/clamy feeling on your skin.]
All an oversized pellet stove will do is melt the occupants!!! if allowed to be Full throttle when not needed and waste pellets...

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
no... P43 is harmans smallest BTU pellet stove unless they still make the P38 which is also 43K BTU's but doesn't have auto Ignition.

Overkill in BTU size only becomes a problem when dealing with Air conditioning as the cooled air in a small room with an oversized AC will cause that air to blow back to the AC thermostat which will determine that the room is cooled there by shutting down too soon and never getting the humidity out of the room. [ damp/clamy feeling on your skin.]
All an oversized pellet stove will do is melt the occupants!!! if allowed to be Full throttle when not needed and waste pellets...

And it costs $800 more

I don't know where you are getting that - I HAVE a P43 heating my main floor. If I had stuck to my guns when the salesman was talking and saying the P61a would heat my whole house, I would probably have two. [edit for clarification: I was originally going to buy two smaller stoves, the salesman talked me into one huge stove. Situation turned out it didn't work and I've ended up with 2 anyway. If I had stayed with my plan, I would probably have two P43's (or similar sized stoves) instead of the P61a in the basement and P43 on the main floor]

Last edited:
Exactly what I thought when I decided on the 68 over the 61,for a couple hundred more it was worth it to me. A friend has a 43 in a similar house and its always on max, he's looking to sell it and get a 68 after seeing mine

Back to the op, haven't heard from him with all the responses here, wonder what he ended up with, or did he say you guys are crazy with the back and forth 61 68 thing. lol just wondering. Anyway hope to hear what he ended up with ??

Back to the op, haven't heard from him with all the responses here, wonder what he ended up with, or did he say you guys are crazy with the back and forth 61 68 thing. lol just wondering. Anyway hope to hear what he ended up with ??
;lol;lol;lol

So,

Thank you all for giving me your thoughts and input. I'm pretty sure I've come up with a new solution, since I'm still hesitant to even pull the trigger on a $3000 stove. I have the ability to get a Lennox Cascade for a very decent price, which I'm told is the same as my parents Whitfield Cascade. I think I'm going to try that and see how it does. My parents got their's new in 1996 and its still their main source of heat in the first level.

Next question, will be what is the best online resource for pellet stove parts (Lennox or Whitfield), but I'll start a new post on that.

Exactly what I thought when I decided on the 68 over the 61,for a couple hundred more it was worth it to me. A friend has a 43 in a similar house and its always on max, he's looking to sell it and get a 68 after seeing mine
If he is seriously interested in selling it let me know!

So,

Thank you all for giving me your thoughts and input. I'm pretty sure I've come up with a new solution, since I'm still hesitant to even pull the trigger on a $3000 stove. I have the ability to get a Lennox Cascade for a very decent price, which I'm told is the same as my parents Whitfield Cascade. I think I'm going to try that and see how it does. My parents got their's new in 1996 and its still their main source of heat in the first level.

Next question, will be what is the best online resource for pellet stove parts (Lennox or Whitfield), but I'll start a new post on that.
And I haven't finalized that decision yet. I do to much thinking and planning on this stuff.

And I haven't finalized that decision yet. I do to much thinking and planning on this stuff.
I know what you mean, I overthink things and do way too much research - end up confusing myself most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrmojo182
Status
Not open for further replies.