Harman P38 questions (two)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Aug 19, 2008
Seacoast Massachusetts
Hello all, First question is anyone using a wireless thermostat with one of these? Ive been searching the forums and my brain is beginning to hurt (either from searching, jetlag or beer withdrawal). Id love to add one to the stove, and am looking at the 3301PF and was wondering if any other Harman user has used one(not necessarily this brand)
My dealer is also kinda a tool, so I'll throw this one out there for everyone. Does Harman offer a retrofit kit to add auto ignition to the P38? I heard rumors this might be coming but again, I have a dealer that wont give me parts when I have the part number (numbers dont mean sh.. to me, what part do you want, exactly)
Thanks all
E

no retrofit is availiable... however, a skytech wireless tstat will work w/ your p38

well, as usual, Summit is correct.....

once upon a time there was talk of a retrofit package, but it never came to be......there was once thread on this forum about wiring thermostats to harman units, written by the brilliant Harryback....maybe search for that....?

its simple to attach any tsts or remote to the 38...
unplug the unit, and remove the phillips head screws that hold in the circuit board in place (where the controls re).
remove the knobs, and pop the plastic knobs shafts off (just pull easilly, and they will come out.. remember where you left the setting when you do so, so they line up correctly again.. i always set it all to the off or low positions so when i reattach, the lines on the knobs line up again properly.), and carefully pull tyhe corners of the computer board off the pegs that hold it onto the steel cover plate...
you will find two prongs on the bottom of the board labeled tstat... attatch the leads from the reciever or from the lead wire tstat wire to the prongs (you may have to purchase some female quick connects at the hardware store if you rout tstat wire, the remote recievers already have them built on) then reassemble and enjoy!.
a little note: ofter the leads for the remote recivers are only about 12" long. get some double sided sticky foam tape to attatch the reciever to the sheet metal sie of the hopper box (where the stove does not get hot) so it does not dangle loosely from the control board attatchment..
you will have to route the wire thru the slit where the rear panels meet on the backside of the stove.
keep it out of the way of the auger, and fsan assys.
remember to change the batteries once a year if using the wireless tstats or remotes.

but if you Do attach a tstat to the p38, when the thermostat calls for heat, be ready for it to run in TURBO mode until the thermostat setting is satisfied.....when its satisfied, the p38 goes back to its dial setting.....just an aside I didnt see mentioned here...yet

Lousyweather said:
but if you Do attach a tstat to the p38, when the thermostat calls for heat, be ready for it to run in TURBO mode until the thermostat setting is satisfied.....when its satisfied, the p38 goes back to its dial setting.....just an aside I didnt see mentioned here...yet

yes, exactly.. its much like the hi-low tstat setting on the enviros/vistas and a few other brands...

Cool, thanks for the help, as usual this forum is a great resource. Ill be using the skytech 3301 pf. I've got 2 20 amp gfi's behind the stove(I have an R2 D2 air conditioner that I vent into the chimney) so there's room to plug the reciever in. I think I'll even get the little log looking cover that goes on it to make it look perdy.
E

Jester said:
Cool, thanks for the help, as usual this forum is a great resource. Ill be using the skytech 3301 pf. I've got 2 20 amp gfi's behind the stove(I have an R2 D2 air conditioner that I vent into the chimney) so there's room to plug the reciever in. I think I'll even get the little log looking cover that goes on it to make it look perdy.
E

Fancy!

Status
Not open for further replies.