Harman P61-A burns low flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The adjustment scrwew only vaies the voltage across the cumbustion blower by a few vilts...nothing earth-shattering......Delta brought up good points....DDM, Draft Guage would be helpful here....also, pull the slide plate out and examine it....is it gunky or clean?

Really Hot, your ESP probe measure the exhaust temp of the stove, and is used for stove temp mode, and tells the stove if it is getting too hot and when it is cool enough to shut down when you turn the stove off. It is located in the exhaust tube behind your ash box. It can be accessed by removing the right side panel of your stove and looking for a wire and a hex head screw in your exhaust pipe where it comes out of the stove. Personally I like to keep that probe clean since I run my stove on stove temp most of the time. I Like to clean it every time I empty the ash box, and perform a thorough cleaning of the stove.

Lousyweather, still waiting on the dealer to come with DDM and draft guage. Says he'll get here as soon as he can, been a week and a half already. When the hopper is empthy of pellets the slide plate looks as clean as a whistle, is there more to it than what you can see? The stove works great on room temp mode, so that led me to believe feed was not a problem. Also, when the feed motor is running, the pellets are feeding.
I thought that I had got the stove working better by adjusting the draft voltage, since it had never been set since the new motherboard this fall. But, this was just temporary, it is still surging, and will not throw constant heat or flame on stove temp mode. I can watch the digital thermostat in my loft go up when the stove burns a good flame, and start to drop when the flame gets low. I did adjust my temp setting to a little above 80, from 75. It is still surging, but does not burn quite as low in the pot on it's low end of the surge, and burns a huge flame on the high end. It is also not burning very clean because of this surging. burns a great clean bright flame on the high end, on the low end is dirty orange, flickers, and produces alot of fly ash as the pot fills back up again.

I don't know, I am at a loss, I have been dealing with this for the past couple of winters, and getting educated on the way. If my dealer does not find anything wrong with the probe, and has no other solutions, I am going to request a new stove. I doubt he will go for this, my three year warranty is up just before Christmas. If I do not get a new stove, I will explore the cost of trading on a new P61-A. I loved this stove when it was working like it should. And I know my problem is isolated, especially since I have not read of anyone having the same issues.

well folks, dealer was here, replaced ESP probe. He also plugged the two bottom holes in the burnpot. I did not even know there was two holes that low. He told me on the new stoves they removed those two holes. So far there seems to be an improvement, although it has only been one day. The burning is taking place higher in the burnpot, a pretty good flame and fairly consistent. It is definately burning alot cleaner and brighter. I think I was loosing alot of efficency before, It is going through the pellets much slower, and it feels like the stove is throwing alot more heat. I will have to watch it for a few days under some different outside temps before I can say problem solved, but I think the worst may be behind me. He also set the draft, ended up making a small adjustment. So, I am not exactly sure what made the difference, but things are better! It still seems to be surging a little, but not to the extreme it was before. this is probably the normal feeding process. I listen to the feed motor, and it is very consistent, regular intervals, and about the same amount of time per feed, it was erratic before the fix. It would feed alot until the flame was high, and then let off so it only fed for 3-5 seconds per cycle.

When is the last time you THROUGHLY cleaned the stove? I mean ash traps, vent, suck out the ash with a leafblower, etc. It sounds to me like your stove isn't getting enough air...

Stove is clean, the pipe was done in the fall, the rest of the stove has been cleaned twice since fall. Believe me, I am a bit particular, I give it a full clean probably more than it needs. combustion fan, exhaust port, probe, heat exchanger, burnpot, the whole deal. I scrape the pot daily.

I believe the problem is solved, new ESP and plugged the two bottom holes in the pot. I don't get the surging, burns midway up the burnpot, no more huffing, cleaner burn, less ash, use less pellets, and throws more heat. It has been three days since my dealer was here and everything seems to be going ok, there is a definate improvement!

Status
Not open for further replies.