Harman P68 back fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigD55

Jan 31, 2023
NY
Hi all, once in awhile but not all the time I get what I will describe a backfire in the stove when it is restarting...It will POOF and blow ash and smoke out the seams in the door. Does anyone know what this is? My stove is clean, I clean it every few weeks.... wondering if it will burn my house down when I am not there?
Thanks for any help.

It’s caused by a delayed ignition at start up, my P61 does it from time to time…causes can be a week igniter, pellets, a few plugged or car ones up holes in the burnpot, lack of air etc. the burn chamber fills with smoke and when it ignites it causes the symptoms you described

Reactions: jackman
It’s caused by a delayed ignition at start up, my P61 does it from time to time…causes can be a week igniter, pellets, a few plugged or car ones up holes in the burnpot, lack of air etc. the burn chamber fills with smoke and when it ignites it causes the symptoms you described
Ok Thank you for your response. I will make sure the burn pot is clean and none of the holes are plugged. I will also start to clean it out every couple weeks or every week.

I have often thought that it could also be a temperature inversion in the exhaust venting.

It doesn't seem right that it actually pushes ash and smoke out the door seams. Shouldn't the seals be better than that?

Reactions: ABusWrench
It’s from the burn pot holes being covered in ash. Used to get it all the time until I made a habit of simply push the ash in the pan.
Thanks, yes, sometimes there is a build up of ash in the burn pot. I will also make a habit of pushing the ash out. Thank you!

I've had that happen occasionally with my P61 too. Always when my burn pot has been neglected for too long.

I'm not obsessive about keeping my burn pot clean, but it needs a quick clean out once or twice a day- especially when it is cycling on and off a lot.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Type and brand of pellets will affect it too.