Harman P68 Distribution blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mc2055

Dec 31, 2008
Hudson Valley,NY
Happy New Year!

Fired up the stove up for the 1st time and it appears the dist. blower is not working. Ran it for a few hours when I realized the fan noise I heard was the combustion fan. Checked the control panel and the dist. blower light was on indicating its rec'ing power but still no noticeable air movement. Shut down the stove and upon cooling put it in test mode which is supposed to run all fans at hi, still no movement. Removed the rear covers and I was able to move the fan blade in each direction. Although I did not spin it numerous times with the fan powered up which I may try this a.m. if I don't go skiing, -17wind chill right now. I read past posts about metal shot being in there, i thought the blades moved freely but with some drag. Perhaps I'll try and pull it off today, just feel like I should let the dealer do it but I can't wait 2 weeks for him to come out. any other ideas?? Wiring all seems to be hooked up. thanks

MC

Here are a couple ideas to see if it is the motor or not:

You could uses a multimeter to make sure you are getting power to the motor. If you have power then the controller should be good.

You could also connect the distribution motor wiring in place of the combustion motor since you know the combustion motor is working, then turn on the stove in test mode and see if the motor comes on then. If it does then it is not the motor.

The combustion motor has an inline fuse but I do not think that the distribution motor does.

If you do end up taking the blower out to see what's going on, make a test cord and plug it in to a standard outlet to see if it works...
If it doesn't, bring it right to the dealer and ask for a new one (under warranty). Then you won't have to wait 2 weeks, I know this is a inconvenience but maybe you can see if you can get a couple of bags of pellets off the guy for saving him a trip to your house....
just a thought.....

If it does work follow codebums instructions to check the board...

GVA... I was wondering that myself. My manual says that if the controls are set to Manual ignite and in Stove Mode:

During operation, with the temperature dial set at #5 or less, the distribution fan will not operate. A #5 on the temperature dial and a #5 on the feed adjuster is approximately 80% output. It is not necessary to operate the distribution blower below this point.

Yep, bad blower.

Disconnected leads, cut an old VCR tape rewinder cord, wired it up and pluged it into the outlet, no luck. Called the dealer requested him to pirate the blower from another new & unused P68 on display. He showed up & did them same thing I did, then grabbed the new one and it fired right up. Now we're cooking with gas and the wife is off my case. Dealer tells me that was his first bad blower, BTW manufacturing date is Nov. 08. I hope Harman did not sacrifice quality to supply the demand. Good show & thanks to all.

mc

We bought ours last Fall and had to replace the same blower. (Warranty)
Ours was very noisy but did run.
Glad to hear you are up and running!!
Going to be 14 days of real COLD weather coming up.

Enjoy!!

My manufacturer date is Oct 08, so far, trouble free. Glad to hear your up and running. Your going to love the heat that P68 puts out. Happy burning.
Side note- not actually trouble free, watch the door pins, my bottom one slid up a couple of times because it was too tight. The door actually came off in my hands twice, held on with top pin though. I wound up just taking a round metal file and ran it through the hole a couple times. All is good now. But keep an eye on them, quite a shock when you open the door to clean out some ash from the burnpot and your suddenly standing there with a hot door in your hands. Might want to keep some gloves nearby, should anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.