Harman p68 exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cornman555

Feb 16, 2021
New York
Hello everyone. I have a Harman p68 I am setting up and I think I might have an issue. First I would just like to say thanks for inviting me to this forum and I cannot tell you how many times a search of information has led me here with great tips over time.
I am setting up a p68 with duravent pipe. With the appliance adapter and 90 the vertical pipe is about a half inch from rear of stove. Is there a adapter to push out or is this good. I have been using a p43 for 11 years and whatever pipe I used back then gives me about 2 1/2 inches from back of stove. Thanks

So this setup is at a second home and I won’t get up there till next weekend. Should have taken some pictures but didn’t. The hopper lid is a good question. Not sure how much it hinges back. Will check my p43 when I get home from work. Smaller stove but same concept. I just don’t want the heat from the pipe being so close to peel the paint off the back of the stove or something worse. Was thinking someone with this stove might have encountered this problem already. Stove was purchased used and is a 2005. The original selkirk adapter was on there and in bad shape. So I purchased new duravent stuff. The Selkirk appliance adapter is longer and looks to give more room at back. I’m thinking maybe a spacer where the exhaust flange bolts to back of stove. Maybe another 1/2-1 inch.

Can you open the hopper fully?
If not, you will have to move it out a bit
I’m guessing it looks like my p43. An angle so the hinge is not near pipe.

Attachments

• 42610355-34E6-476A-ADA5-3C4D8513B7E8.jpeg
    42610355-34E6-476A-ADA5-3C4D8513B7E8.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: DAKSY
I think that is why I put a clean out T at the back of my P43 instead of a 90. I could be wrong because I set that up years ago, but it seams to me that it gives you another inch or two.

P43 clean out.jpg

That wire is NOT laying on that pipe and is several inches away from it and goes to the thermostat I have the stove set up on

I think that is why I put a clean out T at the back of my P43 instead of a 90. I could be wrong because I set that up years ago, but it seams to me that it gives you another inch or two.

View attachment 274837

That wire is NOT laying on that pipe and is several inches away from it and goes to the thermostat I have the stove set up on
I was wondering if a tee has a further offset than a 90. I kind of thought from horizontal connection to vertical rise they would be close to the same. My p43 here uses a different pipe and the adapter at stove is longer. The p68 is also much larger. Not sure if the dimension from exhaust connection to rear of hopper is different but will find out this weekend.

Reactions: bogieb
For some reason I didn't notice you have a P68. My P61a has a 45* elbow off the adapter so the pipe angles away from the back of the stove anyway. My exhaust doesn't go straight up. but at an angle for the vertical rise (placement of the stove is offset from the basement window it exhausts thru). The good thing about the 45, is it helps maintain a decent distance from the wall, so I have plenty of room to work back there when needed.

OAK set up.jpg

That exhaust is a couple of inches away from the wall at the top - the angle and the shadows make it look too close.

Judging by the pipe laying on top of your stove it looks like your using DuraVent stuff. P61 and p68 are probably similar. I mention this because it looks very close on the bottom if you were to rise vertical it would be the same situation I have. You want tight maintenance, my 43 is caddy Corner and close to the wall. It really sucks getting back there when I have to.

Judging by the pipe laying on top of your stove it looks like your using DuraVent stuff. P61 and p68 are probably similar. I mention this because it looks very close on the bottom if you were to rise vertical it would be the same situation I have. You want tight maintenance, my 43 is caddy Corner and close to the wall. It really sucks getting back there when I have to.

Nope. This exhaust was supplied by the installer and is from MetalFab, a company out of Kansas. They only sell to installers (I know, I tried everything to get 18" section when I moved the stove. I tried cotacting places in MI and NY that are shown as resources, but they either never responded, or just told me "no".

The picture in my previous post is from when I had just moved the stove from the other side and everything on top is just parts. The longer piece on the right is a MetalFab piece and was later put thru the wall (where the pink insulation is blocking off the hole to the outside. The piece on the left IS a Duravent and was from the P43 install - I bought several parts trying to get it to match the hole in the wall since the exhaust heights were different and the Hastings was a corner install while the P43 is a straight-ish install. I had been storing some boxes on the stove that had all my spare parts (summer time). That one just rolled out the top when I moved the box to finish the installation and I was too lazy to walk the 6' to put it back in the box.

Metal-Fab pipe.jpg

Update. Been running the stove this weekend with pipe approximately 1/2” from rear of stove. All seems good. Inside of hopper is cool so it doesn’t seem to be an issue. Now I need to figure out why this thing is gulping pellets and won’t cycle down.

Attachments

• EC76CF15-1C08-4144-ABFF-CEF62B6A1D32.jpeg
    EC76CF15-1C08-4144-ABFF-CEF62B6A1D32.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 129
What do you have the settings at? Stove temp will use more pellets...and are you satisfied with the heat it’s putting out? Typically a feed rate of 3-4 and temperature at 60-70 degrees if you have a temp probe will use a bag a day depending on size of area you’re heating.

As mentioned this is a new to me 2005 model and it did not look like it was babied. My first bag went in 7 hours. Cleaned and checked over, removed esp and cleaned, just cleaned fines box (never even knew it was there). I’m not happy with door seal but don’t think that’s my big issue. I cannot get stove to cycle down. It’s either full bore flame or it starts to shut down. This happens in both modes. My p43 at a good temp will put out as much heat for a whole lot less pellets. Kind of like the bag a day you mentioned. Got stove fairly cheap and it’s a weekend unit for me so hopefully I can get it dialed in.