Harman P68 Firepot Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drewster

Oct 17, 2019
My P68 has been having issues igniting by itself, most of the time it will run a cycle by feeding the pellets into the pot then turning off so i have to manually shut it down and restart the cycle again and then it will ignite fine, i noticed a hole in the firepot and im trying to find out the cause of it. Has anyone had this issue before? i clean the stove often with a vacuum and scrape the pot out regularly. Assuming the firepot should be replaced as well??

Thank you.
Firepot 1.jpg
Firepot 2.jpg

Reactions: Ben Wardwell
My P68 has been having issues igniting by itself, most of the time it will run a cycle by feeding the pellets into the pot then turning off so i have to manually shut it down and restart the cycle again and then it will ignite fine, i noticed a hole in the firepot and im trying to find out the cause of it. Has anyone had this issue before? i clean the stove often with a vacuum and scrape the pot out regularly. Assuming the firepot should be replaced as well??

Thank you.View attachment 289055 View attachment 289056
It sure does look like time for a new burn pot to me. In a pinch, if you know an excellent welder, you might get away with removing it so they can do a bit of build up repair. That might well get you through the winter. How old is your P68 and how many tons would you estimate it has had run through it?

YMMV

Hugh

I can't imagine a pot having a hole through it. Unless it was poor manufacturing, the only other thing I could think would be carbon build up that would burn very hot if that is possible.

Is it from rust? Do you have other rust issues inside your stove? Could be getting too much moisture inside the stove during off-season. Personally, I would replace my burn pot if it looked like that but I’m a novice so couldn’t give you a good explanation as to why it would cause issues.

Here’s a thread on a similar issue and replacement

Replace the burn pot. Pretty easy job. Im sure there is a youtube video out there. Spray the 4 studs/nuts that secure it with some penetrating oil to make them come out easier.

Appreciate all your responses. I will try and find a burn pot online and replace it, im thinking the igniter should be replaced now as well since it wont light by itself. All of the heat going into that small hole where the igniter is most likely melted the wires for it..

Is it from rust? Do you have other rust issues inside your stove? Could be getting too much moisture inside the stove during off-season. Personally, I would replace my burn pot if it looked like that but I’m a novice so couldn’t give you a good explanation as to why it would cause issues.

I noticed a little layers of rust on the outside from when i purchased it, The seller let it sit outside for a week before i bought it and i also let it sit outside under a cover for 3 months covered in a blanket but i have been burning with it for 3 months without problems until now.

It may be the angle... But it also looks like the lower small 1/8" holes,
are blocked, or nearly blocked..??

It may be the angle... But it also looks like the lower small 1/8" holes,
are blocked, or nearly blocked..??
Yeah, aside from the broken part of the pot... there are many holes plugged in that thing.

If you click on the second photo you can see there are 5 rows, and most of the lower rows are plugged to where you can barely even see them anymore.

I see the holes plugged up, and a couple thoughts. One is they may be plugged because of the big hole in the pot, so there is less air pressure to keep them cleared. Two is if they were not clear would it cause a hole to burn through the SS pot? I can understand inefficient burning.

i will try and clear the plugged holes, any suggestions on where to get a replacement pot? seems to be a bad time to be buying this part since its in the middle of the busy season for stove parts, ive looked on Ebay, Amazon and there are a few stoves outfits near me that are dealers but are out of stock and are weeks out on them. Anyone by chance have one for sale they would sell or recommend someone to buy one? Thanks Guys

i will try and clear the plugged holes, any suggestions on where to get a replacement pot? seems to be a bad time to be buying this part since its in the middle of the busy season for stove parts, ive looked on Ebay, Amazon and there are a few stoves outfits near me that are dealers but are out of stock and are weeks out on them. Anyone by chance have one for sale they would sell or recommend someone to buy one? Thanks Guys

Reactions: Washed-Up
Only a few left

https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/harman-p68-burn-pot-weldment-1-10-06723-p/1-10-06723.htm a bit cheaper

And don't forget the gasket or you'll be waiting again.

I never knew that they were ~$250...

Holy_crap.jpg

I gotta admit, I would try welding in a patch..
Dan

I never knew that they were ~$250...

View attachment 289483

I gotta admit, I would try welding in a patch..
Dan
Yes, if things didn't look too rotten I'd take it to a trusted welder and give it a go. I wonder if that tear didn't happen when someone used a chisel and a bit too much enthusiasm in attempting to clean off the Harman speed bump .

Reactions: Mt Bob
Yes, if things didn't look too rotten I'd take it to a trusted welder and give it a go. I wonder if that tear didn't happen when someone used a chisel and a bit too much enthusiasm in attempting to clean off the Harman speed bump .
Yep,look at the carbon still stuck in the pot.Lots more metal may come off with a proper cleaningLooks like poor maintenance to me.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Man I have got pretty aggressive with carbon and not tore thru the burn pot:)

Reactions: Mt Bob