Harman PF100 no ignition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

triclark03

Mar 8, 2020
Addison,Vermont
I just purchased a Harman PF100. Built Nov 2003.
I completely cleaned the unit, checked/tested the ignitor, the ohms reading was good.
When I try to run an auto light it feeds pellets for about a minute then stops. Then nothing happens, no igniter light at all. After about 14 minutes it starts feeding pellets again and the burn pot is already overloaded with pellets and dropping into the ash pan.
I manually started it and it seemed to work fine, I ran a half a bag through it.

Any ideas? I did check the ESP and it seems fine, within range. Made sure the dip switches were correct. Not sure why it hasn't even tried to ignite or even illuminate the light on the circuit board? No status blinks either.

Thanks
Triclark03

Probably need a new igniter. But you could test the igniter with an old lamp cord, plug directly in the outlet and see if it glows red hot. If not a new one is needed

You can use your ohm meter with a loop and clamp around yellow wire to see if it is pulling amperage. Does the pot have any heat in it at all after trying to light for a while?

Then it is not getting power. The neutral runs thru vac switch to the auger motor and igniter. If it is feeding pellets it should be getting neutral. Did you check for 120v at the yellow wire?

No I haven't. I can check for power, I'm not sure how long after it feeds pellets initially that it should switch power on to the igniter. The igniter indicator light never illuminates.

Have you had the board out yet? Look for burned traces?

Sounds like a board problem if it feeds pellets in and igniter light is not coming on when you have the toggle switch in auto .

I took the circuit board out and don't see anything with a burn mark or damaged. I tested the ESP again with a multi meter and it seems high or out of range. 1,434,000 ohms Not sure if that would cause this problem. Going to try replacing the ESP first.

Sounds like a plan. I always replace esp when I do a board anyway

Replaced the ESP and still no ignition.
Replaced the control board and it now starts!
It takes a while, first fills the burn pot up about 3/4 full then slowly keeps filling until it ignites.
It really starts to smoke then it surges with flame until it stays lit. It surges pretty strong with the intake valve flapping close and the intake valve in the ash door flapping.
Is this normal?
Seems hard on the whole furnace, it surging like that.

You need to adjust the dip switch settings on your control board so it doesn't feed so many pellets on startup.

1585475711412.jpeg

Dipswitches 1,2,3 control ignition cycle "charge". Try setting it for -21 sec or -43 sec.

Reactions: ABusWrench