Harman Stove PP38+ low heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just be gentle with it. The ESP has a screw with a small flange, remove the screw, wiggle the flange till its free then pull out the ESP. Clean it with wet paper towel is what I do and reinstall... thats it..
I'll be gentle thank you for all your help. Lets hope a cleaning is all it needs.

The probe is stainless. I had a probe issue a couple weeks ago but I had high dirty fire as the probe was thinking it needed more fuel. I changed pellet brand. Cleaned it up and everything went back to normal. Something is saying the stove is at temp and not needing to fire and keeping it at idle. Bad temperature control pot?

The probe is stainless. I had a probe issue a couple weeks ago but I had high dirty fire as the probe was thinking it needed more fuel. I changed pellet brand. Cleaned it up and everything went back to normal. Something is saying the stove is at temp and not needing to fire and keeping it at idle. Bad temperature control pot?
OK here is the latest I took the probe out and cleaned it and the stove is still not producing heat (it stays lit but flame isn't big enough to cause the blower to produce heat). I am guessing the next thing would be to change the feed potentiometer (I know people have said it's tricky to do my brother in law is very good with something like this) is there anything I need to tell him? Thanks everyone.

If your replacing the pots, like changing headlights on a car, change them all. The time and expense is minimal once the board is out and why guess after that you should have done the others too if it does not remedy the problem.

If your replacing the pots, like changing headlights on a car, change them all. The time and expense is minimal once the board is out and why guess after that you should have done the others too if it does not remedy the problem.

I know I can't do this I will have to ask someone. Is there a part number for the pots I need (can they be bought off the shelf or do I have to order them)? Is there a certain solder needed (as you can guess I am over my head) any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I know I can't do this I will have to ask someone. Is there a part number for the pots I need (can they be bought off the shelf or do I have to order them)? Is there a certain solder needed (as you can guess I am over my head) any other suggestions would be appreciated.
There is a seller on Ebay and has details on how to determine correct pots. I think they go for around $10 for 2 or 3 delivered. Search Harman and several should pop up. Also is a site that will replace the pots and test for I think $40 plus shipping. I have two Harmans that are getting the pots replaced in the spring. One harman turns itself on, the others fan control blinks all the lights if turned all the way to the high stop.

There is a seller on Ebay and has details on how to determine correct pots. I think they go for around $10 for 2 or 3 delivered. Search Harman and several should pop up. Also is a site that will replace the pots and test for I think $40 plus shipping. I have two Harmans that are getting the pots replaced in the spring. One harman turns itself on, the others fan control blinks all the lights if turned all the way to the high stop.

Thanks Bioburner

harman dealer here....those 2 knobber CB's are getting hard to find, so, replacing the pot is a viable repair.....because there is aretrofit kit available for your old p38, but its involved, and somewhat pricey. Some dealers still have the old 2 knob boards in stock as well....the ones who were forward-thinking, that is.....::-)

harman dealer here....those 2 knobber CB's are getting hard to find, so, replacing the pot is a viable repair.....because there is aretrofit kit available for your old p38, but its involved, and somewhat pricey. Some dealers still have the old 2 knob boards in stock as well....the ones who were forward-thinking, that is.....::-)
So are you saying I should get a circuit board now before they are impossible to find?

Process of elimination... Could the ESP be bad?? What happens if you jump across the ESP plug, I wonder if anyone tried?? Yup try the pots and see. I've got some for backup...

Process of elimination... Could the ESP be bad?? What happens if you jump across the ESP plug, I wonder if anyone tried?? Yup try the pots and see. I've got some for backup...
I would have NO idea on how to jump the ESP. The probe was really dirty this morning when I cleaned so I was hoping the cleaning would work but it didn't.

Started a thread on testing ESP

Thanks Tom
Ok I had the pots replaced turned the stove on and everything worked fine... for about an hour then it went back to not putting out heat (stays lit though). I am thinking of replacing the esp probe (anyone know the best price) any suggestions would help. Thanks

Ok I had the pots replaced turned the stove on and everything worked fine... for about an hour then it went back to not putting out heat (stays lit though). I am thinking of replacing the esp probe (anyone know the best price) any suggestions would help. Thanks

That was quick. Where did you get them from?

not an expert on the p38's but sometimes when harman stoves wont feed enough pellets except on start up for a large flame it is because there is a blockage in the feed system or sometimes the slide plate was removed for cleaning and installed upside down, unlikely the slide plate is upside down unless you remove that in your cleanings, most people dont as they dont even know there is feedbox clean out area unless they actually read their manual

That was quick. Where did you get them from?
I found a guy on ebay that was seeling the pots in CT (I live in NY) so I asked if he would meet me so I drove and picked them up and had my brother in law solder them for me. Does anyone know if there is a temperature sensor for the pp38+ and if so where is it (my stove is a basic model nothing fancy with it). Thanks

I found a guy on ebay that was seeling the pots in CT (I live in NY) so I asked if he would meet me so I drove and picked them up and had my brother in law solder them for me. Does anyone know if there is a temperature sensor for the pp38+ and if so where is it (my stove is a basic model nothing fancy with it). Thanks

The primary temperature sensor is the esp.

There is also a room probe which acts as a thermostat.

Your local Harman dealer might have one just make certain you get one that will work on your particular stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.