Harman stove temp mode for a small fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal65

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2006
Due to my current weather, I would like to set my Harman XXV to stove temp mode to have a small fire burning through the night. How low have some of you set up your stove mode? Has anyone ever set the pellet feed rate to 1?

I am using Golden Fire pellets, does stove mode=L, pellet feed=1.5, and temp setting=2.5 sound reasonable?

Thanks,

stove mode, L or H doesnt matter, but likely low side, feed at 3, temp at lowest setting possible....that should do it

Can you clear this up for me.

stove mode, L or H doesnt matter, but likely low side, feed at 3, temp at lowest setting possible....that should do it....
This will burn X pellets after six hours.

If I keep everything the same except for the temp, let say I set it to 5 1/2, 80 degrees. Will it use the same amount of pellets? The feed rate is the same. More heat/more pellets used right?

of course, increasing the desired temperature will increase the amount of pellets used. I thought the original post was basically how to create a maintenance burn in stove mode.

Set the feed rate at 4. Room Fan speed to H. Choose your room temp and let the stove regulate itself.
Im finding this to be the best way to run the stove.

actually setting the blower on high will actually give you cooler air.. I would really never set the fan past the 1/2 way mark. the slower the air is moving through the unit the hotter the stove will be thus producing hotter air into the room from the distribution blower. On warm days I ususally set mine as followed. feed rate 4 - room temp (desired temp) blower speed midway between L and H.

I am a little conflicted about this myself.

I understand now that there is no benefit on having a low feed rate.

I am not sure if it makes any difference setting it at 5 or even 6?? That is a question for the experts.

But what is the consensus for the fan speed?

Put it on high or middle?
I knwo the stove regulates the fan speed as well.
On high, more air is displaced thus cooling faster, the stove does not heat quickly enough to maintain the desirable hot air.
So I am thinking that having fan speed set up in the middle to be the ideal?

Any comments?

Hammerjoe said:
I am a little conflicted about this myself.

I understand now that there is no benefit on having a low feed rate.

I am not sure if it makes any difference setting it at 5 or even 6?? That is a question for the experts.

But what is the consensus for the fan speed?

Put it on high or middle?
I knwo the stove regulates the fan speed as well.
On high, more air is displaced thus cooling faster, the stove does not heat quickly enough to maintain the desirable hot air.
So I am thinking that having fan speed set up in the middle to be the ideal?

Any comments?

My stove doesnt go from fan off to fan on. I think I have noticed it regulate the speed. But I dont think it has a sensor on the outgoing air to tell it if its running at peak efficency.

The slower the air moves the hotter the air molecules (sp) will be going into the room. At some point put your blower on low and put your hand in front of the stove where the air comes out. How long can you hold your hand there? Then try it on high... there will be a BIG difference, trust me. Once you get the house to your desired temperature it should benefit you in the long run. Even though the air may be moving slower and you may not feel the "hot" air on the other side of the room right away it will be there eventually. Give it time... Remember Mom always said, "patience is a virtue".

FireJumper said:
The slower the air moves the hotter the air molecules (sp) will be going into the room. At some point put your blower on low and put your hand in front of the stove where the air comes out. How long can you hold your hand there? Then try it on high... there will be a BIG difference, trust me. Once you get the house to your desired temperature it should benefit you in the long run. Even though the air may be moving slower and you may not feel the "hot" air on the other side of the room right away it will be there eventually. Give it time... Remember Mom always said, "patience is a virtue".

Good call..
The blower on high removes the heat from the heat exchanger too quickly. Maybe putting the feed on 6 would help but we all want to save pellets right?
I always keep mine on medium (except in the summer) ;-P

I cant see how having it on high is any cooler as far as heating goes ( reading above almost sounds like the air conditioner kicks on). Yes the distrubition air is cooler then on a lower setting, but it is still a lot warmer than the room temp and is therefore heating the room. I would assume on high the room would heat faster as the heat is removed off the exchangers and into the room more rapidly VS on a middle setting the heat is retained in the unit longer, and so the room isnt heated as quick - Am I wrong in thinking this?

FredJ said:
I cant see how having it on high is any cooler as far as heating goes ( reading above almost sounds like the air conditioner kicks on). Yes the distrubition air is cooler then on a lower setting, but it is still a lot warmer than the room temp and is therefore heating the room. I would assume on high the room would heat faster as the heat is removed off the exchangers and into the room more rapidly VS on a middle setting the heat is retained in the unit longer, and so the room isnt heated as quick - Am I wrong in thinking this?
If the room is close to the set temp this may be ok to have it on high. But say the room is 60* and t-stat is set at 70*
Put the blower on high and it blows out say 90* air for five minutes then slowley gets cooler, the heat is removed faster than it can be replaced. Now say the air temp coming out is 75* steady after 15 minutes of the blower on high it will take longer to heat the room to 70* at this temp than if it is blowing out a steady 90* at a lower velocity.
You are not really trying to heat the air but rather remove the cold. energy is transfered from a warm to a cold body ie: The higher the temp difference is the faster the transfer of energy, which is why the wood guys run their stoves at about 500-600* while the pellet guys run probably in the area of 200*.
Whats the difference here? How long will a wood burner run on one load? How long will a pellet stove run on a load?
I hope I haven't confused anyone here on this.....even I'm starting to get lost :)

[quote author="GVA" date="1162615819 Now say the air temp coming out is 75* steady after 15 minutes of the blower on high it will take longer to heat the room to 70* at this temp than if it is blowing out a steady 90* at a lower velocity.
You are not really trying to heat the air but rather remove the cold. ?Iquote]

I sort of understand, but still..
If the exchanger temp is 70 ( I'm just using that, I have no idea what it is) and you slowly drag air across that and blow air out at 80 you are essentially leaving some heat on the exchanger and so that heat is not making it in to the room. If you rapidly drag air across the exchanger depleteing the heat, then isnt that heat then in the room?
how about the reverse temps, if we were talking air conditioning, I know my rooms cool off MUCH faster when the AC fan is on high VS if the fan is on low.

also, if the fans on high, doesnt that create more air flow in the room helping to decrease cold pockets?

FredJ said:
[quote author="GVA" date="1162615819 Now say the air temp coming out is 75* steady after 15 minutes of the blower on high it will take longer to heat the room to 70* at this temp than if it is blowing out a steady 90* at a lower velocity.
You are not really trying to heat the air but rather remove the cold. ?Iquote]

If the exchanger temp is 70 ( I'm just using that, I have no idea what it is) and you slowly drag air across that and blow air out at 80 you are essentially leaving some heat on the exchanger and so that heat is not making it in to the room. If you rapidly drag air across the exchanger depleteing the heat, then isnt that heat then in the room?
how about the reverse temps, if we were talking air conditioning, I know my rooms cool off MUCH faster when the AC fan is on high VS if the fan is on low.

also, if the fans on high, doesnt that create more air flow in the room helping to decrease cold pockets?
A/C is a different animal.
The compressor for example will run about 30* lower than the t-stat is set, so at work when the office people pry open the locked t-stat covers for the roof units and turn the temp to 60* (and it's usually hot and humid outside) the compressor and condensor will freeze up solid and I have to go up on the roof and fight off the seagulls and thaw the unit with a heat gun. This is the good part the room doesn't really get cooler any quicker with the temp being lower. We just need to remember one thing unless were talking about nuclear fusion energy transfer is not a fast process...

and for the heat you said what the problem is If you rapidly draw air across the HE the heat is in the room....... But now how warm, is the heat exchanger?
Maybe the best way to explain this would be to boil some water now pour a cup of it out and add a cup of warm tap water, is it still boiling?
No. you have removed too much energy. will it boil again? Yes.... Unless you keep doing this repeatedly, So your stove is removing the heat from the HE, and the only way to keep the heat there is to add more via pellet feed :long:

Whew .........I'm glad its not just me.

I thought maybe i had too many cold ones watching the football game today. :gulp:

Let me hook you up and straighten the mess out.

Here is the missing post.

FredJ

and the other:

GVA" date="1162615819 Now say the air temp coming out is 75* steady after 15 minutes of the blower on high it will take longer to heat the room to 70* at this temp than if it is blowing out a steady 90* at a lower velocity.
You are not really trying to heat the air but rather remove the cold. ?

and the other:

GVA" date=
A/C is a different animal.
The compressor for example will run about 30* lower than the t-stat is set, so at work when the office people pry open the locked t-stat covers for the roof units and turn the temp to 60* (and it's usually hot and humid outside) the compressor and condensor will freeze up solid and I have to go up on the roof and fight off the seagulls and thaw the unit with a heat gun. This is the good part the room doesn't really get cooler any quicker with the temp being lower. We just need to remember one thing unless were talking about nuclear fusion energy transfer is not a fast process...

and for the heat you said what the problem is If you rapidly draw air across the HE the heat is in the room....... But now how warm, is the heat exchanger?
Maybe the best way to explain this would be to boil some water now pour a cup of it out and add a cup of warm tap water, is it still boiling?
No. you have removed too much energy. will it boil again? Yes.... Unless you keep doing this repeatedly, So your stove is removing the heat from the HE, and the only way to keep the heat there is to add more via pellet feed :long:

Boy, you must have some time to kill, eh? %-P

The fan speed will have a different effect in different locations. Play with it and set it where you think it is best for your room. The more important factor is BTU transfer. Rate of combustion and the exchange of BTU's to the space. Fan speed will not have a direct bearing on how many BTU's reach the space. The design of the heat exchanger and the efficiency of the combustion process are far more relevant to heating the room.

The design of the pellet stove takes into consideration the rate of combustion and adjusts the distribution fan accordingly, to keep the stove from overheating. I wouldn't get too caught up in the fan speed. Unless this is entertainment. You guys can have as much fun as you want discussing fan speed. But for the onlookers, don't lose sleep over how fast your distribution blower is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.