Harman xxv high temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Donewithcordwood

Mar 19, 2023
New Hampshire
I have a Harman xxv stove with touch pad on the hopper door. About a month ago I came down the hallway in the morning when I got about 30' from the stove I could smell something overly hot. I checked on the stove and found the top so hot that you could not even touch it. I shut it down and after it cooled I restarted it and all was fine until this morning when it happened again. This time I checked the room temp and stove temperature setting, both at 70f I dropped the thermostat setting to 67 and the stove continued to pump pellets into the hopper for 10 minutes after that it dropped the temp back and went into standby mode until it hit 67 and fired back up with no issues. Any thoughts, am I looking at a control board? Thanks

Is the distribution fan running at max when it’s that hot? If not it may need replacing or rebuild

Reactions: jackman
I'll second Washed-Up. The distribution fan takes the heat from the stove and puts the it into the room. Run the self test and make sure the fan is turning.

Reactions: Washed-Up
The fan was not running and I'm not sure that is not the problem. I spun the fan by hand about an hour later and then went into diagnostics and turned it on and it came right up to high speed. Everything I'm seeing is heading me towards an intermittent issue in the control board. Not positive but I think both times this has happened was first thing in the morning right after the stove came up to its daytime temp setting.

Did you get any blink codes in test mode? Does it exhibit the same behavior in both Stove Temp and Room Temp modes? If using one then try the other for a few hours.

No blink codes, but it just screwed up again and I was able to look at it. It appears that I need a new distribution fan. It hardly spins even when spinning by hand. I'm assuming the bearings are dried out as it did spin when it was cooler earlier in the day. Spend money sign is on after 7 years with this stove. Wish everything else I bought was this reliable. Thanks to everyone that replied.