Harman XXV ignitor replacement too often

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chamilton

Dec 30, 2018
VT
Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some help trying to figure out a problem with my Harman XXV. When it's working, it's wonderful. However, the ignitor will go out on it ALL THE TIME.

First time it happened I replaced with a cheap piece of junk ignitor from Amazon. Last four ignitions and died. Then I got wise and went right to a dealer for the next one. $120 later a new ignitor is put in and it works.

Just came back from vacation and now it doesn't work again. I cleaned it out completely, and it still won't ignite. I will say though that it does get warm on the inside, but then pellets start falling through.

I'm at a loss at what to do. There is obviously a bigger issue at hand but I have no idea what it is or how to fix it.

Thanks for your help!

First things first. Check the outlet that it's plugged into and make sure you're getting the proper voltage and the outlet is working properly. To check the voltage, you'll need a voltmeter on the outlet.

Reactions: railfanron
Are you running the ignitor on auto or disabled? My dealer told me to put it on auto until it lights then flip it to disabled so it runs constantly with a smaller flame. He said it will save wear and tear on ignitor. I only use the ignitor a couple times a month after doing cleaning.

It's possible that your igniter is staying powered all thflowing. I've seen this before with damaged Triac or relays.

Igniters burn up fast under constant power conditions. Probably easiest to measure voltage to two igniter connectors after 15 or 20 minutes of running to see if you still have 115 Volts to igniter.

If it was a Quadrafire you could just peak into a pan area to see if igniter is still glowing.

Reactions: Mt Bob
It's possible that your igniter is staying powered all thflowing. I've seen this before with damaged Triac or relays.

Igniters burn up fast under constant power conditions. Probably easiest to measure voltage to two igniter connectors after 15 or 20 minutes of running to see if you still have 115 Volts to igniter.

If it was a Quadrafire you could just peak into a pan area to see if igniter is still glowing.

Also try a couple bags of different pellets. I have seen pellets over the years that act like they just dont want to burn.