Harmon P61A Temperature Sensor Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Greenhil

Oct 14, 2018
VT
I’ve searched the forum but haven’t found anything that addresses this problem: the temperature sensor seems wildly inaccurate.

The sensor wire is coiled up at th back of the stove. I’ve put a digital thermometer right next to it to get an accurate reading of the actual temperature at that location.

If I set the stove thermostat on the control panel at 75 (for example) the temperature at the sensor has to drop to around 60 before the stove starts up. Consequently I have to have the control panel setting even higher (between 80 & 85) just to get a temperature of around 70 at the sensor location.

This is a new stove. I called the dealer who told me to move the sensor, which is fairly limiting because the wire isn’t that long - and it also seems like it won’t matter since I’ve already determined that the sensor isn’t reading the temperature accurately.

I’m new to pellet stoves, having burned cordwood for many years, so apologies if I’m missing something obvious.