harmon stove won't turn off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bobnoffs

Feb 18, 2014
woodruff, wisconsin
i have read in other places about harmon stoves that won't shut off. i recently had this happen. earth sense recommended i bring the board in to be tested and buy a new board. when i suggested it might be the potentiometer they said it was possible but by the time you paid an elect. techy guy to troubleshoot you might as well buy their new board.
i used electrical contact cleaner on the ''pot'' and that's all it was...........no new $200 board sale for earth sense. stove works again as it should. way too bad earth sense can't offer help replacing just the pot. i am sure they are aware of this problem and solution because i have read about it and other possible solutions. one post recommended buying a new pot for $2 on ebay and replacing it. anyone know a part number?
if you have this problem try the contact cleaner before you pop for the new board.

All right here

Does not turning off occur frequently or just once every so often? My own Harman, an XXV, does this once in a while, but not often enough to be a nuisance. The times it has occurred I unplug the stove and turn the room/stove temp control back and forth to its limits a couple times and I'm good for a fairly long time. It might be contamination on the pot, but I'm also wondering if the processor that controls the stove gets glitched and unplugging the stove resets it on a fresh start.

If the ESP probe is bad it will not turn off.