has anybody modified their woodstove to make it sealed combustion?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some research on outdoor air kits and there seems to be some debate about oaks and their benefits. I built my first oak to see for myself if there was benefit or not. Let's just say that I'm a believer in oaks. It will be some extra work to custom build oak #2, but I'm confident from what I have experienced already that the effort will be worthwile. I like not having to humidify dry indoor air. I like heating up the house faster. I like not having to cut, split. carry and burn as much wood. One day I'd love to have a small indoor gasser with a large viewing glass which will use even less wood, but for now I'm happy enough with my cheap indoor wood boiler. I burn so little (wood) that it's hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars for EPA certified or thousands of dollars for a gasser to reduce my usage (-20%). I'm trying to get the most out of what I already have. Thanks again to those who posted comments already. It has helped me to find the right way to use my wood heating equipment

I planned to include some type of intake dampening to turn down hot fires when needed either for safety or for longer burn times.

Good idea. I've had to restrict my OAK twice at the inlet when I thought my stove was overfiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.