Has anyone installed a blower fan for a Martin SA36 fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeffreykb

May 13, 2019
Texas
Has anyone installed a blower fan for a Martin SA36 fireplace or able to direct me to someone that could assist? We purchased a house several months ago with gas furnace on second floor. The air duct system is unable to heat the first floor well. A blower on the fireplace could be helpful.

Has anyone installed a blower fan for a Martin SA36 fireplace or able to direct me to someone that could assist? We purchased a house several months ago with gas furnace on second floor. The air duct system is unable to heat the first floor well. A blower on the fireplace could be helpful.
Don't waste the money or time. That is a decorative fireplace and will never be a very effective heater

We are not looking to heat the entire first floor with just the fireplace. Also, we live in the Austin, TX area, and I have only seen snow a couple times in the last 10 years. In other words, we are just looking for a little booster heat for the gas furnace. I have read other forum posts on this model of fireplace, and I understand that there is a low opinion of it. However if anyone can offer assistance on a blower fan for it, I would appreciate it. The manual for the fireplace is for the SA36 and SC36 models. While there exists info for a blower fan for the SC36, no info was found for the SA36 about a blower fan. However, the electrical junction box cutout for the blower fan was found on my fireplace. It appears that the 2 models are very similar. It would be nice if a blower fan could be added to our fireplace at a small cost.

Ok but it doesn't matter where you live when you have a fireplace that doesn't supply and heat to the house and isn't designed to be a heater. I think any money spent trying to make it a heater will be wasted.

It looks like the SC36 is the model that has the blower option, not the SA36. This will never provide much heat. The problem is that it's very inefficient and heat produced is sucked out the house as the fire dies down.

Based on the manual it doesn't even look like the SA36 has a convection jacket. Is there a blank plate top and bottom around the doors?