Hauling It Out With A Sled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I have come across a downed oak tree located where there is no vehicle access. Seems like a lot of work considering it has to be hauled about 1/4 mile across soon to be dry meadow grass, to the side of the road where I can throw it in my truck. The tree is about 2 ft. across. I figure it would be about thirty 16 inch rounds to make a cord, and that doesn't seem so bad. Then, I figure I could do one at a time easily, the round would be about two hundred pounds, maybe less since it has been down a while. A quarter mile back and forth would be what, 15 miles? This is but one example of how I plan to feed my addiction to collecting firewood. No pics, it hasn't happened yet. Back to sleep now, and my dreams of easier pickin's.

Reactions: ScotO
The gym will miss your membership.

Reactions: ScotO
Have you considered burning the extra food you'd have to eat to do this, instead?

Reactions: PapaDave
Brutal.

Then, I figure I could do one at a time easily

Can you say, "Henry David Thoreau..." That, my friend, is a commitment!! I am by no means of calling you out or asking for your "man card" - nor am I turning mine in. But, EASILY??? Nope, not at all. Load your sled, wagon, wheel barrel, whatever... with wood and walk it back and fourth across your lawn a few times and then imagine the woods and field - not happening. 200lbs is a ton in ten trips and just beyond the value of any wood for me. I just went and took two aspirin after reading your post.

I'm hurtin' and tired just having read your post, Mr A. That's where I draw the line and pay for my wood. I've done some things that don't quite measure up to financial sanity, but you could actually hurt yourself real bad in the process of scrounging this "score." I'd think twice before embarking upon an enterprise such as this.

Yuck.

I did 3 hauls this morning after an early morning breakfast of a hamburger and fries at Denny's. Hauling a few rounds out was easier than I thought it would be, they're smaller than I originally thought, 16"-18", I didn't measure. The dolly is 12" across. The terrain is fairly flat. It is an over flow area along a creek. I used a hand truck, it hasn't rained in awhile and the ground was fairly firm. It took about an hour to make a few cuts and walk them out. Not a quick or easy score, but a good way to work off a hamburger, and get some free oak, but darn it if that's not some good looking wood.. I should get a donkey to help with this.
Pics- The trees, the hand truck, and the day's haul.

Attachments

• optitree1.jpg
    optitree1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 111
  • optitree2.jpg
    optitree2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 91
  • optidolly.jpg
    optidolly.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 98
  • optihaul.jpg
    optihaul.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Mr A. My hat is off to you man. That can be some tough and slow work but you've found a way. I might suggest standing those rounds up rather than laying them down. It might work but it might not. I'd also be very tempted to tie that cart on the back of a lawn mower to pull those logs out. Or perhaps you might know someone with an atv? Geeze, if we were close you could even use our dray but that would be a long way to go because you live many, many miles from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.