Hauling/stacking wood in 110-degree day - is intervention needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brazilbl

Burning Hunk
Aug 24, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Moving "current wood inventory" in preparation for a load of wood. Major hot spell in NorCal. Sure, the smart person would be loading at 6:00 AM, but family obligations...

Would this be called "freakish" behavior? I'm sure my wife would classify as so, but I hearken my brethren for "perspective".

Question #1) Are the in-laws there? If yes then no intervention needed, if no then intervention
may need to happen

Question #2) Did you possibly overindulge in drink last night & need to sweat the nasties out? If yes then no intervention needed, if no then it may need to happen.

I don’t think intervention works on a “woodchucker” as my wife calls me it may take a blood transfusion since it seems to get in ones blood. That’s definitely a warm day to be tossing lumber around but if it needs done, just be sure to drink lots of fluids & rest occasionally. Maybe better planning in the future but most of my plans are shot full of holes either right before starting or shortly there after.

Last edited:
Is intervention needed...well are ya a fat ol' feller? I regularly work in 100+ temps and 70% humidity outside and enjoy it quite a bit. i'd rather sweat a bucket than freeze any day. If you're not too heavy and used to being outside you'll probably be fine. Just like jimBear said, drink a lot and sit in the shade whenever you feel froggy.

Unless the inlaws are there, in which case work like a dog and make the girls swoon and the guys envious. Show 'em what your lady bought for however many years she put into you. Grunt a lot and make out like the small stuff is heavy too. Shoot a shotgun at imaginary snakes. She'll be proud of her tough old man and they'll talk about you for years!

I split and stacked in full sun thru 100F days in early July, the year my daughter was born. It was my only chance to get it done, that year. Not recommended!

When we have 100F, it’s a “feels like” 110+, due to our oppressive mid-Atlantic humidity.

Reactions: mountain man 2
how many beers did you drink while doing it? you need calories you know.

Not freakish at all. You have to get stuff done. I have so many "family obligations" it would make you sick. When it is hot out, you can only drink so many fluids, eventually you throw up. It's called heat exhaustion/stroke.......

It is a choice. You either sit inside or go to work. Exact same thing when it is very cold out. It is called frostbite/hypothermia. I commend you for getting stuff done.

The Toue de France just finished up. I'm not signing up for that, ever.

As said earlier I would rather sweat than freeze. I cut and split most of my wood when it's hot and dry, easier on everything in my opinion. I work outside for a living so it's no different. Stay hydrated and when u need a break take one. The cold days are for enjoying that wood you cut split and stacked, by burning it inside.

I start to drip sweat working hard at 70 degrees so I'd imagine I'd be driping sweat at 110 too. For this noreastern that's hot and would surely end up staying in the air conditioning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UPDATE: The "other" load just came in. Though the skies are choked with smoke from the plethora of wildfires here in NorCal, I am seriously considering stacking as much as my shed will hold tomorrow...

Thank you for your input, I have been classified as a "freak" - who rendered her professional opinion.

Seriously - it is nice to know that you are prepared (wood-wise) for the upcoming season.

.Seriously - it is nice to know that you are prepared (wood-wise) for the upcoming season.

You ain't kidding, knowing that if something happens my family will not freeze to death this winter is a nice feeling. Last winter seemed to be storm after storm and no electric a few too many times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Todays forecast is mostly sunny, humid with a high of 92f, I'm at work but leaving at 1pm, my plans are to pick up a load of ash in the back yard at work, sharpen the lawn mower blades, cut the grass, unload the truck and start splitting into the evening tonight, then grill up some steaks.

Reactions: Chas0218
No splitting here, today. 96F heat index on 92F shade temp. Gonna go build a shed in my air conditioned barn.

412b65571326a7f382ce2e4286650eea.jpg

It rarely gets above 85 here and I really feel the heat then. Today with low 80’s, I stacked 3/4 Cord and pulled another 3/4 cord of branches out of a windfall quagmire. Lost 4 lbs of water. 100 degrees? I’d die. Conversely, we have weeks in the winter where the temps never get above single digits (occasionally, multiple days without seeing 0+ are known to happen.) I could snowshoe all day in that!

Ultimately. I think it’s all about what you’re used to. Stay hydrated in the heat and if you feel queasy, take a break or stop. As for painful cold, layer up, stay dry, and you’ll be fine. It helps to have an appreciation for snotsicles too.

It 100 degrees? I’d die. Conversely, we have weeks in the winter where the temps never get above single digits

We get both, the pleasure of living in the mid-Atlantic region. We often see over 100F, and below 0F, in any given year.

I'm 3 years out, but I get serious about my cutting after a hard killing frost.

Reactions: JimBear
it was a high of 93º yesterday. Man I can't wait for winter!