Hauling wood from wood pile to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nojo said:
All this moving wood from cart to racks is for the birds.

I made these racks that are 18wide X 36 tall. I take them outside and fill them with wood, Then use a dolly to bring them inside. Once inside I just put the rack in position. Only had to load it once and get about a 3 day supply depending on weather.
I can't quite picture these racks; do you have a picture you can share?

Gridlock said:
nojo said:

I made these racks that are 18wide X 36 tall. I take them outside and fill them with wood, Then use a dolly to bring them inside. Once inside I just put the rack in position. Only had to load it once and get about a 3 day supply depending on weather.

sure..

110127135845-IMG_3557.JPG-Windows-Picture-and-Fax-Viewer.jpg

Nothing special, it just works. Id like to make some out of black iron (with wood bottom so I dont scuff the floor) to look a little better.

LLigetfa said:
Now you're thinking! I've been thinking about the same sort of concept except I'd need to use two dollies, an outside one with larger rugged tires and an inside one with non-scuff gray tires. They make these fold-up models for indoor use.
http://content.etilize.com/Large/11968979.jpg

I have one of those I use for moving some large but not too heavy speakers around for gigs.. I dont know how well it would move anything over 100lbs. They flex a LOT. Get one of the ones with air filled wheels they shouldn't scuff the floor.

nojo said:
Gridlock said:
nojo said:

sure..

110127135845-IMG_3557.JPG-Windows-Picture-and-Fax-Viewer.jpg

Nothing special, it just works. Id like to make some out of black iron (with wood bottom so I dont scuff the floor) to look a little better.
Ah, I see. Thanks for sharing!

golfandwoodnut said:
My system has been working well. I can stack almost a 1/2 a cord in the basement (more if I tried). It only takes about 1/2 hour to wheel barrow it inside and stacked. From there is is heated by the furnace (that kicks on periodically) and really drys out nicely (I have not noticed any bugs). I haul upstairs with a canvas bag about every 3 days to fill a wood ring. As someone said the canvas helps hold the mess in and I am not tracking any outside snow or mud inside or opening and closing the door. My wife still complains there are too many wood chips just from moving from the wood ring to the stove. I like not having to go outside for several weeks at a time (although I still go out to split wood etc).
The canvas bag is nice for limiting wood chips going everywhere, but I don't like that you it won't hold very much, and I find it awkward to carry.

nojo said:
I have one of those I use for moving some large but not too heavy speakers around for gigs.. I dont know how well it would move anything over 100lbs. They flex a LOT. Get one of the ones with air filled wheels they shouldn't scuff the floor.
The reason I was thinking of a fold-up is I can stash it in a closet and not take up too much space. I could convert a regular dolly to quad by using non-scuff scooter tires for indoor and larger off-road tires for outdoor.

http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/...iance_truck/images/mswk_superwheel_option.jpg

Gridlock said:
My current process for hauling wood from the wood pile to the stove is:

1) Get wheelbarrow from garage and take to wood pile and fill completely
2) Bring wheelbarrow back into garage
3) Carry arm loads from wheelbarrow up flight of stairs into living room and place wood in rack

It takes about 8 arm loads to fill the rack, which I have to do every 2-3 days.

I them came across this: http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5CV-WC20

It occurred to me that instead of going from wood pile to garage, then up flight of stairs 8 times, that I can use the above wood hauler to go directly from wood pile to stove, also with fewer trips up the stairs. Anyone else using one of these (or something like it)? How do you haul wood from the wood pile to the stove?

You're dragging that flimsy HOS up the stairs?

Bigg_Redd said:
Gridlock said:
My current process for hauling wood from the wood pile to the stove is:

1) Get wheelbarrow from garage and take to wood pile and fill completely
2) Bring wheelbarrow back into garage
3) Carry arm loads from wheelbarrow up flight of stairs into living room and place wood in rack

It takes about 8 arm loads to fill the rack, which I have to do every 2-3 days.

I them came across this: http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5CV-WC20

It occurred to me that instead of going from wood pile to garage, then up flight of stairs 8 times, that I can use the above wood hauler to go directly from wood pile to stove, also with fewer trips up the stairs. Anyone else using one of these (or something like it)? How do you haul wood from the wood pile to the stove?

You're dragging that flimsy HOS up the stairs?

It's the same design as my HARBOR FREIGHT wood hauler, which I use to bring wood in from outside every two-three days - the weight is substantial, but the cart lets you do most all the lifting with your legs (stand 1-2 steps up with knees bent, grab handle, straighten legs to pull cart up one step, step up and repeat...) The cart seems to handle it just fine...

Gooserider

Gridlock said:
golfandwoodnut said:
My system has been working well. I can stack almost a 1/2 a cord in the basement (more if I tried). It only takes about 1/2 hour to wheel barrow it inside and stacked. From there is is heated by the furnace (that kicks on periodically) and really drys out nicely (I have not noticed any bugs). I haul upstairs with a canvas bag about every 3 days to fill a wood ring. As someone said the canvas helps hold the mess in and I am not tracking any outside snow or mud inside or opening and closing the door. My wife still complains there are too many wood chips just from moving from the wood ring to the stove. I like not having to go outside for several weeks at a time (although I still go out to split wood etc).
The canvas bag is nice for limiting wood chips going everywhere, but I don't like that you it won't hold very much, and I find it awkward to carry.

Maybe your canvas carrier is smaller than the one I have . . . but I can fill up the woodbox (24+ hours of burning in the winter) with three loads . . . and since the woodshed and wood on the porch isn't that far away only making three trips to fill up the woodbox is worth the $20 or $30 that I spent on the canvas tote.

Status
Not open for further replies.