Have we reached a tipping point?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You lost me on quote from steve's article. put in for bg monocrop comment?
This is an assumption that those conducting the logging will do it right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200102-144945_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200102-144945_Chrome.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 168
This is an assumption that those conducting the logging will do it right.
In the context with the lead in sentence. There are some bad actors yes. But if you are serious about your out in the open eco-sensitive business you are probably utilizing the stuff put out by univ. forestry depts. So, yes they probably are spending and it doing rt as a industry. Just info ,not in 2nd pp and not in quoted section, last pp. That is where you lost me!
my opinion, you have yours

In the context with the lead in sentence. There are some bad actors yes. But if you are serious about your out in the open eco-sensitive business you are probably utilizing the stuff put out by univ. forestry depts. So, yes they probably are spending and it doing rt as a industry. Just info ,not in 2nd pp and not in quoted section, last pp. That is where you lost me!
my opinion, you have yours

The US Forestry Service is one of the least funded branches of the government. I hardly think universities have the manpower or authority to enforce logging regulations. Most logging operations have little to no oversight and are located far from any enforcement authorities. When the cats are away the mice will play. It's very clear from satellite images and global air quality that logging laws are not being enforced strictly anywhere.

I would not think that most foresters look at their crop as a carbon sequestering business !
Really?

In the context with the lead in sentence. There are some bad actors yes. But if you are serious about your out in the open eco-sensitive business you are probably utilizing the stuff put out by univ. forestry depts. So, yes they probably are spending and it doing rt as a industry. Just info ,not in 2nd pp and not in quoted section, last pp.
Unfortunately every act conducted by government has a human element, which means it has a political element, including those affected by the regulatory states. This is how Boeing managed to rush a flawed plane to market.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Really?

Unfortunately every act conducted by government has a human element, which means it has a political element, including those affected by the regulatory states. This is how Boeing managed to rush a flawed plane to market.
REALLY? WOULDN'T YOU? Your product grows on co2, faster than when co2 levels of the 50's -70's. So haeuser's a great company, they get all this waste energy and fit your great company, if even by default. wouldn't you use free energy bark, chips,saw dust, ect??? they now fit your great carbon sequester co because their product hits at the dreaded co2, which it grows on. let's forget they clear cut and only save money on a byproduct, where do they make money not reclaim or save it, but by growing, cutting , and processing trees.! My guess using space bus analogy of statements , you love your neighbor weyerhhaeuser. That is an eye opener!

your second pt., I would say OB(golf), politics not allowed,! I will use space bus again , your comment seems to say that the gov't let Boeing build a plane they knew would crash

just my opine on what I read

I think the point is that most people do not do the right thing when nobody is watching. We don't understand why you think that exploiters of natural resources will do something that costs more money without any incentive. I think it's pretty clear at this point that natural resources all over the planet have not been properly managed.

How's the weather Doug?

Reactions: SpaceBus
How's the weather Doug?
Pretty nice, past the age of loving snow and ice, so I really don't mind this1578056181955.png
model shows more warm rain a week out. Hope you folks in your area got some of the rain you've needed. Thanks to T kelly, NECN for tweet.

We just had our warmest winter holiday season in 20 years here. I wore shorts one day and was grateful for the favorable weather for my work outside.
Finding a tick on one of our dogs and seeing a mosquito in our garage yesterday though, I was reminded of the unfavorable consequences that we see and expect -- and way more concerning -- those we don't expect.
Yeah, I was able to work outside but California, and now Australia and other places, are paying the price for my convenience.

Back on the Australia fires, the hot season still has months to go, so no wet period anytime soon. The videos from people at the beaches are horrible.
Yea it s not like Australia has endless forestland to spare. Pretty much a giant desert with forests around the edges which is where all the fires are. Nothing to burn in the interior except sand.

If it gets hot enough for the sand to catch, we have real problems.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Their national capitol has had the worst city air quality in the world for several days running. Brush fires are predicted to go on for months. After this, I think the next big issue they are going to have is flooding when/if the fall and winter rains start. That and the loss of precious topsoil due to runoff. It's a pretty dire situation.

Reactions: woodgeek and Ashful
Their national capitol has had the worst city air quality in the world for several days running. Brush fires are predicted to go on for months. After this, I think the next big issue they are going to have is flooding when/if the fall and winter rains start. That and the loss of precious topsoil due to runoff. It's a pretty dire situation.
We might be seeing a new type of migrant.

Its like a giant southern california, high winds, low humidity and drought conditions for months in the dry season. 3/4 of Australia was arid or semi-arid before the current drought.

Sometimes it helps to quantify human impact on the planet in terms we can understand. When one talks billions and trillions the quantity can numb the mind. A recent study of how much energy the oceans are absorbing does this. Last year was a record. How much heat? An equivalent of every person on earth pointing 100 hairdryers on high toward the ocean, 24/7 for a year. Or in other terms, the equivalent to 5 Hiroshima bombs every second. “The less technical term is: It’s a $hit-ton of energy,” he said.

global temps.png

When I first saw that graph, the “fake news” skeptic in me wondered why only certain years were highlighted, as if points that didn’t support the narrative were suppressed. Of course, in this example that’s not the case, so I wonder why the author of that graph didn’t just use this more useful view:

251B4278-ED21-4DEB-B179-61BD3C2DFACE.png

In fact the NASA site from which I sourced that graph has a cool global temperature map that you can view year by year, as temperature change by location, by dragging a slider to a given year.

Damn you, begreen... you’re going to make an environmentalist out of me.

The question is not if we will reach the tipping point, but when. We are already seeing cascading failures in the environment and ecosystems. For example, some penguin die-offs are severe (50% for some) as krill populations are falling due to ocean warming and acidification.

The question is not if we will reach the tipping point, but when.
It seems obvious the tipping point was reached long ago and this big ship is sailing full speed ahead ,so rather than dwell on the tipping point i think we should find ways to deal with the inevitable results. For the short term i wont be buying any beachfront property or any property in flood plains or fire zones.

Obvious that change is happening, yes. But a very large fraction of the population is still either selling or buying the narrative that it isn’t, or that it’s just a natural process, not human-influenced. It would seem you need to solve that problem, before we can end the endless cycle of one administration repealing the actions of the prior.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Obvious that change is happening, yes. But a very large fraction of the population is still either selling or buying the narrative that it isn’t, or that it’s just a natural process, not human-influenced. It would seem you need to solve that problem, before we can end the endless cycle of one administration repealing the actions of the prior.
Figuring out who, if anyone, shoulders the blame is not a default option. It is indeed the answer given by those spinning the narrative. They want you to think the exact cause is equally important to fixing the issue. Western, or perhaps all, philosophy places a great deal of importance on assigning blame.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
The effects of ocean acidification due to excess atmospheric carbon dioxide are showing up globally. The oceans are 70% of the planet's surface. They produce over 50% of the air we breathe. Tiny plankton are what generate this oxygen. They are dying. The effects of acidification are now showing up in our local waters now with a rapid decline in crab populations. This is a one-way path for humanity.
https://www.ecowatch.com/pacific-ocean-acidification-2644943545.html

More than just the canary, the whole avian population is in serious decline. Silent spring is becoming a reality.

Reactions: AlbergSteve