Have we reached a tipping point?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes, but water frequently moves due to capillary action. You act like that dirty water will just sit there forever. Even if the water stays put it's just a nasty toxic deposit for our future selves to discover and marvel at the stupidity and lack of foresight. Times are changing and those who work for oil and coal companies should look at retraining. People take this so personally, but this is what happens when technology improves. Many industries have been reduced by technology.

The frack water moves down, drinking water is not coming from those areas. Hydrology read up a little.

Reactions: Ashful
Yes, but water frequently moves due to capillary action. You act like that dirty water will just sit there forever. Even if the water stays put it's just a nasty toxic deposit for our future selves to discover and marvel at the stupidity and lack of foresight. Times are changing and those who work for oil and coal companies should look at retraining. People take this so personally, but this is what happens when technology improves. Many industries have been reduced by technology.

SpaceBus, if you feel fracking is damaging to non water bearing formations. Check out Florida deep well injection. Landfills discharge their leachate into the ground thru a 2500 foot deep well.

SpaceBus, if you feel fracking is damaging to non water bearing formations. Check out Florida deep well injection. Landfills discharge their leachate into the ground thru a 2500 foot deep well.
That's not a long term or sustainable solution either. Pretty much everything humans do is not sustainable. Plate tectonics, rising sea levels, and many other factors move things back to the surface. How do you think the oil and coal deposits were found in the first place?

That's not a long term or sustainable solution either. Pretty much everything humans do is not sustainable. Plate tectonics, rising sea levels, and many other factors move things back to the surface. How do you think the oil and coal deposits were found in the first place?

How does that explain that when ancient structures are found they are buried?

Here something better than the Green New Deal to help a big chunk of the world become more sustainable. And unlike the GND which is so ludicrous it will never happen, this is very doable.

$7000 for a house ,ill take 2!

If you believe in man caused climate change and still own a internal combustion engine you are conflicted. As I stated before ground water permitting as well as discharge is permitted at the state level, the EPA often is redundant and overbearing.

What does "conflicted" mean exactly in your argument? It reads like you are trying to use guilt to make an argument, which is kind of silly because it doesn't really move your argument forward. Your argument would be more believable and honest if you just wrote "I don't believe in climate change. Stop discussing it or thinking about it because you drive cars."

If you believe in man caused climate change and still own a internal combustion engine you are conflicted.
Id consider myself conflicted if i was zipping
around the country in a private jet giving speeches about climate change. Just driveing a car , no im not conflicted.

How does that explain that when ancient structures are found they are buried?
Because structures are not liquid or fluid in movement.

Edit: Also, many structures are brought back to the surface, along with fossils and minerals.

Id consider myself conflicted if i was zipping
around the country in a private jet giving speeches about climate change. Just driveing a car , no im not conflicted.
I think that will change for you, at least for me it has. I’m too practical to make the leap to PHEV’s or BEV’s today, given their present inability to meet all of my goals and desires in a vehicle. But I’ll admit I feel damn bad about it, and hope the technology, price, and infrastructure are all vastly improved before my next vehicle purchase opportunity.

I feel even more conflicted at the voting booth, choosing between a party who has (in my opinion) taken the wrong stance on environmental issues, and another who supports and even preaches redistribution of the wealth I’ve managed to acquire.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I think that will change for you, at least for me it has.
I feel even more conflicted at the voting booth, choosing between a party who has (in my opinion) taken the wrong stance on environmental issues, and another who supports and even preaches redistribution of the wealth I’ve managed to acquire.
Its usually the best of 2 evils . Look at the bright side, if the redistribution party takes over, you will no longer be able to afford all those ICE toys and the air will be cleaner,a win win. (Depending on your point of view):cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: woodnomore
Speaking of the tipping point, I do not recall the last time I voted for an individual. I usually cast my ballot against the other person running.

Here something better than the Green New Deal to help a big chunk of the world become more sustainable. And unlike the GND which is so ludicrous it will never happen, this is very doable.

$7000 for a house ,ill take 2!

They are cool, but unfortunately they are made from cement, the production of which is anything but green. The cement industry is responsible for significant emissions. Also, if everyone wanted one we would deplete the world's sands in a heartbeat. Not all sand can be used for cement, just a specific type. We'll need an alternative cement to make this practical.

Speaking of the tipping point, I do not recall the last time I voted for an individual. I usually cast my ballot against the other person running.
All: Let's keep politics out of the discussion, ok?

They are cool, but unfortunately they are made from cement, the production of which is anything but green. The cement industry is responsible for significant emissions. Also, if everyone wanted one we would deplete the world's sands in a heartbeat. Not all sand can be used for cement, just a specific type. We'll need an alternative cement to make this practical.
I am trying really hard in the future to use as little concrete as humanly possible. It's just really difficult not to use it in foundations.

I am trying really hard in the future to use as little concrete as humanly possible. It's just really difficult not to use it in foundations.
Indeed. We are approaching civilization tipping points too.

They are cool, but unfortunately they are made from cement, the production of which is anything but green.
Just about every 3rd world home iv ever been in is already made of concrete. Concrete blocks and joints and floors. But very energy wastful. Making them energy efficient is certainly a plus for many years to come.

There's a lot of abadondoned concrete in the world. I hope someone can find a good mortar replacement that doesn't involve lime.

This is the first time iv heard this. There is no viable replacement for concrete outside the addition of some flyash. Some builders no longer use it for footers changing to compacked stone but the basement wall sections are still concrete as is the whole basement floor. Finding better ways to make it will be easier than finding a replacement.

There's a lot of abadondoned concrete in the world. I hope someone can find a good mortar replacement that doesn't involve lime.
Now its lime? Farmers put lime on their fields by the truckload to stimulate growth. How do you sleep at night with all these climate emergencies going on?

This is the first time iv heard this. There is no viable replacement for concrete outside the addition of some flyash. Some builders no longer use it for footers changing to compacked stone but the basement wall sections are still concrete as is the whole basement floor. Finding better ways to make it will be easier than finding a replacement.
There just isn't any replacement for lime. Coal ash can be added to concrete, but not as a cement replacement. It's unfortunate that there isn't really an environmentally friendly way to make lime. Even if biomass was used to produce masonry supplies, that's a lot of carbon release even if the fuel is sustainable. Perhaps we can find a way to make the lime from farmed precursors (marine life) rather than breaking it down after everything has been fossilized.

If the big drivers of climate change are not addressed , the small ones are just window dressing. I wont be cutting back on my use of concrete when needed any time soon.

If the big drivers of climate change are not addressed , the small ones are just window dressing. I wont be cutting back on my use of concrete when needed any time soon.
15% of all carbon production is a massive chunk. Agricultural lime, Portland cement, slacked lime, and lime for mortar is all made in rotary kilns that require huge amounts of energy. The world does indeed revolve around it. If not for the giant Limestone deposits in Massachusetts this country may never have taken off like it did.

... are you suggesting I allow the pH of my lawn to drift? !!!

I see the amount of lime used in agricultural and turf applications ever-decreasing, better options are available today for soil conditioners and even simple pH correction, than the old traditional lime-based products.

As to masonry, well I just repointed the entire back of my house in lime and sand last summer. It’s a very large stone house. I did not ask how much lime was used, but I suspect it couldn’t have been more than a few hundred pounds for a very large area of stonework. By comparison, it can take a few thousand pounds per acre to bump soil pH a few tenths.

Get the aggies shifted from lime to other calcium vehicles, and I have to believe this impact can be largely controlled.

Lime in concrete? Where? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Lime is mostly reserved for mortar and plaster, isn’t it? It’s costly stuff, and I don’t think i adds strength in a Portland-based mix, it’s there for workability in most mortar and plaster applications. Or for historical applications, any building that pre-dates Portland.

Lime in concrete? Where? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Lime is mostly reserved for mortar and plaster, isn’t it? It’s costly stuff, and I don’t think i adds strength in a Portland-based mix, it’s there for workability in most mortar and plaster applications. Or for historical applications, any building that pre-dates Portland.
Concrete is 7-15% cement. Cement has lime or calcium carbonate as a key ingredient.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus