Having trouble deciding on woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Can I get the info on that thermometer? That would be sweet to be able to check flu temps from upstairs without having to go in the basement!
Auber instruments website.
Also sold on Amazon, but I suspect you will want to get the probe.
Amazon product ASIN B0189SS5YM

New here and wanting some help deciding on a woodstove for our basement. We currently have a Valcourt Lafayette 2 on the main level that does good on milder days in the 2300 sq ft main level but struggles when it drops below 10 f. I was thinking of the Pacific energy t5 or a quadra fire for the basement. Total finished area of basement will be around 1700 sq ft. I really like the idea of set it and forget it with the Quad but the t5 is a nice looking unit. Thoughts?
Literally just installed a Blaze King Princess 32 in our 1800sqft old log structure built in 1842…….this stove is simply AMAAAAZING…..the thermostat technology allows you to load it, set it and walk away while she turns the wood on and off for the most AWESOME even wood stove heat ever……….

Literally just installed a Blaze King Princess 32 in our 1800sqft old log structure built in 1842…….this stove is simply AMAAAAZING…..the thermostat technology allows you to load it, set it and walk away while she turns the wood on and off for the most AWESOME even wood stove heat ever…
Cool

Looks like the Princess insert's blower cord comes out to the left side. Is it possible to make it come out the right side (where my outlet is)?

Literally just installed a Blaze King Princess 32 in our 1800sqft old log structure built in 1842…….this stove is simply AMAAAAZING…..the thermostat technology allows you to load it, set it and walk away while she turns the wood on and off for the most AWESOME even wood stove heat ever……….

Yep. I just had my longest burn ever. Of course it was not that cold; the first 6 hrs were about 24-28 F, after that about 35 for 12 hrs, Then 38 or so.

I got more than 32 hours. But less than 35. (I'm traveling and the wife is not as obsessively looking as I would...)

Defined as the cat being active. Which coincides pretty well with a "usable heat" criterion (with "usable" being a different level depending on the outside temps).

This is with a 2.9 cubic foot firebox.

I got more than 32 hours. But less than 35. (I'm traveling and the wife is not as obsessively looking as I would...)

Defined as the cat being active. Which coincides pretty well with a "usable heat" criterion (with "usable" being a different level depending on the outside temps).

This is with a 2.9 cubic foot firebox.
Ditto. I'm doing the same on one of my Ashfords 30.1's, installed in a space (1800 sq.ft. w/14 ft vaulted ceiling ) where daytime heat demand is not extremely high.

The beauty is that I have its twin sister in another part of the house, where heat demand is very high, and she'll rip down full loads of the same in 4 - 6 hours. That's some range.

Yes, but at full speed, the efficiency is way down as a lot more BTUs go up the flue.

I wonder how flue temps (and total airflow quantities) compare for different types of stoves at high burn rates. Most people look at comparing at low burn rates, but that's not always the best case to compare.

On the depth of the firebox, some may think it's not an issue....but my King is 9" deep. When I projected lows for the week are below average, I empty out the ashes, allowing for more space to maximize load size, because I will be running the stove at a higher burn rate.

I don't recall if I have shared this story before. As many here know, I am an avid hunter. Especially elk. Well a guy from outside John Day Oregon (eastern Oregon) called the dealer to complain about how his 5 year old Blaze King King wasn't getting very good burn times.

The dealer asked if I was headed that way, because elk season was about to open. So I told him I'd be happy to go with him to see the guy. Well, when I got to the dealers shop, we was slammed with customers. So I headed off on my own. Well, it took me about 1 hour to drive to the turn off to his "cabin". It was located on 2,500 acres of elk country! I finally found his "cabin", which was about 6,000 sq ft. His garage was bigger than my house the the contents worth much, much more. His little jet was the topper.

Thankfully, as a bow hunter at that time, elk season is in August so I did not have a hot stove to deal with. I started outside, cap looked great, no build up. Pulled the cap and looked down the pipe. Spotless. All good, so I take off the ol' Kennetrek boots (calf high, so they take time to lace-up).

I go into his cabin and front and center is the King the dealer installed 5 seasons earlier. I open the door and to my wonder, it appears someone has filled the stove with concrete...all the way up to the door opening. So I asked the guy when was the last time he cleaned out the ashes. His response was "You have to empty the ashes?" After 5 years of burning 3 cords while visiting his cabin, he had never cleaned out ashes. I asked him for a pry bar and a 5lb sledge hammer and we them in his shop. It took me about 2 hours of chiseling to get the solid block broken up and out. Of course the bricks were toast, so I told him to call the dealer and get a set ordered.

Great guy. Great looking place. Nice toys. And now he knows he has to empty ashes from a wood stove.

On the depth of the firebox, some may think it's not an issue....but my King is 9" deep. When I projected lows for the week are below average, I empty out the ashes, allowing for more space to maximize load size, because I will be running the stove at a higher burn rate.

I don't recall if I have shared this story before. As many here know, I am an avid hunter. Especially elk. Well a guy from outside John Day Oregon (eastern Oregon) called the dealer to complain about how his 5 year old Blaze King King wasn't getting very good burn times.

The dealer asked if I was headed that way, because elk season was about to open. So I told him I'd be happy to go with him to see the guy. Well, when I got to the dealers shop, we was slammed with customers. So I headed off on my own. Well, it took me about 1 hour to drive to the turn off to his "cabin". It was located on 2,500 acres of elk country! I finally found his "cabin", which was about 6,000 sq ft. His garage was bigger than my house the the contents worth much, much more. His little jet was the topper.

Thankfully, as a bow hunter at that time, elk season is in August so I did not have a hot stove to deal with. I started outside, cap looked great, no build up. Pulled the cap and looked down the pipe. Spotless. All good, so I take off the ol' Kennetrek boots (calf high, so they take time to lace-up).

I go into his cabin and front and center is the King the dealer installed 5 seasons earlier. I open the door and to my wonder, it appears someone has filled the stove with concrete...all the way up to the door opening. So I asked the guy when was the last time he cleaned out the ashes. His response was "You have to empty the ashes?" After 5 years of burning 3 cords while visiting his cabin, he had never cleaned out ashes. I asked him for a pry bar and a 5lb sledge hammer and we them in his shop. It took me about 2 hours of chiseling to get the solid block broken up and out. Of course the bricks were toast, so I told him to call the dealer and get a set ordered.

Great guy. Great looking place. Nice toys. And now he knows he has to empty ashes from a wood stove.
Lol….and this proves that common sense and the ability to make money reside in different parts of the brain…….

Reactions: Ashful and T-roy_
Can anyone with a princess insert chime in if there’s a way to get the blower cord to come out to the right? All pics I’ve seen it’s out the left, and manual states not to run it in front of the unit.

Can anyone with a princess insert chime in if there’s a way to get the blower cord to come out to the right? All pics I’ve seen it’s out the left, and manual states not to run it in front of the unit.
So the PI29 cord is not convertible to the right hand side. The SC25 and AF25 can be routed out of either side. And none of them are approved for an electrical connection behind the shroud.

Reactions: JonH
So the PI29 cord is not convertible to the right hand side. The SC25 and AF25 can be routed out of either side. And none of them are approved for an electrical connection behind the shroud.
Thank you very much. With my outlet on the right that takes the princess out of the equation and puts the spotlight on ashford. The ashford insert has a 2.3cu ft firebox and the princess has a 2.5cu ft firebox, one would think very similar heating capabilities, but the ashford is rated for 400-1600 sq ft and the princess for 1000-2,300 sq ft. That’s quite the difference. Is that bc the princess sits out on the hearth and ashford tucked in? Or are they very similar in heating and those suggestions are off? I want the listed performance of the princess but the fact u can’t move the cord rules that out. Can the ashford hang with the princess in sq footage heating?

Thank you very much. With my outlet on the right that takes the princess out of the equation and puts the spotlight on ashford. The ashford insert has a 2.3cu ft firebox and the princess has a 2.5cu ft firebox, one would think very similar heating capabilities, but the ashford is rated for 400-1600 sq ft and the princess for 1000-2,300 sq ft. That’s quite the difference. Is that bc the princess sits out on the hearth and ashford tucked in? Or are they very similar in heating and those suggestions are off? I want the listed performance of the princess but the fact u can’t move the cord rules that out. Can the ashford hang with the princess in sq footage heating?
Yes, The PI29 sits out 12.5" onto the hearth. The AF25 and SC25 are nearly flush. The other thing is the shape of the firebox. Because the PI29 only goes 12.5" into the fireplace opening, the firebox is more square in shape. Inserts that occupy the full depth of most masonry fireplaces are often tapered to match the contour of a fireplace. The fans on the AF25/SC25 are mounted on skis for service and occupy that space under the FB. The fan on the PI29 is located out in front of the shroud, allowing for that space to become part of the FBV.

As to "hang with the PI29", hearth heaters have a distinct advantage over flush mount inserts. This become very apparent during power outages. If you have a generator you can run in those cases to maximize getting hot air into the living space, I think it (AF25) should perform much better.

IF you really like the PI29 and the features, consider relocating or installing a new electrical service/outlet to the opposite side. I have done plenty of electrical work in my life and have very rarely run into places where an outlet is not doable.

Last edited:
Yes, The PI29 sits out 12.5" onto the hearth. The AF25 and SC25 are nearly flush. The other thing is the shape of the firebox. Because the PI29 only goes 12.5" into the fireplace opening, the firebox is more square in shape. Insert that occupy the full depth of most masonry fireplaces are often tapered to match the contour of a fireplace. The fans on the AF25/SC25 are mounted on skis for service and occupy that space. The fan on the PI29 is located out in front of the shroud, allowing for that space to become part of the FBV.

As to "hang with the PI29", hearth heaters have a distinct advantage over flush mount inserts. This become very apparent during power outages. If you have a generator you can run in those cases to maximize getting hot air into the living space, I think it (AF25) should perform much better.

IF you really like the PI29 and the features, consider relocating on installing a new electrical service/outlet to the opposite side. I have done plenty of electrical work in my life and have very rarely run into places where an outlet is not doable.
We really prefer the look of the AF25 and our cord is already on the right side and would be easier. I was just put off by the low sq ft rating from the AF25, I have a 2,100 sqft home and didn't want to be underwhelmed. Luckily we almost never have power outages in the winter and I would always be able to run my blower if needed so that shouldn't be an issue. I wish I knew if the Ashford insert would be able to heat my 2,100 sq ft house in eastern NC and my decision would be much easier. This is awesome being able to talk directly to the VP of the company that I'm interested in, thank you for your time. I'd like to put a suggestion in the suggestion box for Blaze King while I have your attention, have the cord be able to switch sides for the PI29. :)

We really prefer the look of the AF25 and our cord is already on the right side and would be easier. I was just put off by the low sq ft rating from the AF25, I have a 2,100 sqft home and didn't want to be underwhelmed. Luckily we almost never have power outages in the winter and I would always be able to run my blower if needed so that shouldn't be an issue. I wish I knew if the Ashford insert would be able to heat my 2,100 sq ft house in eastern NC and my decision would be much easier. This is awesome being able to talk directly to the VP of the company that I'm interested in, thank you for your time. I'd like to put a suggestion in the suggestion box for Blaze King while I have your attention, have the cord be able to switch sides for the PI29. :)
It's all a matter of cost for safety tests. But I hear (read) you loud and clear. There are a few AF25 owners in these forums that can speak to the heating abilities of the AF25. In your climate, I would think it could carry the majority of your heating demands, given proper fuel (M/C), piece size and loading densities. Brush up on your woodstove tetris skills!

Does anyone know how long the blower cord is for the princess insert?

If I recall correctly it is 6'. You can my office at 509-522-2730 and ask that type of question. I'm flying today, otherwise I'd be able to help....

Okay everyone. Finally made a decision. I like radiant heat units vs convection. I can put one of those little heat activated fans on top to move the air around and like the idea of not needing an electric blower. So I decided that the BK Sirocco 30 is the one for me! Thank you all for your input! This is a remarkable community of members with a whole lot of good knowledge, experience, and expertise! Thanks again everyone!

Those heat activated fans are more of a toy than a tool to move air IMHO.

Alright. So my sirocco won't be in until August sometime. Had the guys install the flue and everything already since no sense in waiting for the stove to get here. However I have heard people talk about to much draft on here before and curious on what you all think about my situation. Its 24 feet straight up out the roof from the top of my basement ceiling. I still have like 5 or 6 feet more to go depending on if I raise it up on a raised hearth or directly on the floor. So that being said it's a 30' chimney...😬. Do you guys think I'll have overdraft issues on that sirocco? I wonder what BK vp thinks?

BKVP has posted on this before. He/BK corporate won’t say install a damper. I will say get a manometer and do whatever you need to get the draft in spec. BK does have a draft spec. 30’ I’m guessing a damper will be needed. But it’s a basement and the stack effect is real and can cause draft issues. You won’t know until you fire it up and without a manometer you are just guessing how close to spec you are.

Just my thoughts.

Alright. So my sirocco won't be in until August sometime. Had the guys install the flue and everything already since no sense in waiting for the stove to get here. However I have heard people talk about to much draft on here before and curious on what you all think about my situation. Its 24 feet straight up out the roof from the top of my basement ceiling. I still have like 5 or 6 feet more to go depending on if I raise it up on a raised hearth or directly on the floor. So that being said it's a 30' chimney...😬. Do you guys think I'll have overdraft issues on that sirocco? I wonder what BK vp thinks?
The "basement effect" may partly cancel the very strong draft one would normally expect from 30 feet of pipe. I don't know, but I do suspect you will still have more draft than you want.

If the draft is high, you will not have any control issues, there's no danger in that. But you will very likely have issues with the combustor clogging with fly ash due to the very strong air currents created in the stove by such a tall pipe, and overall heating performance will suffer, as it did on my pipe of almost 30 feet.

I would arrange some means of measuring draft, my favorite device being a 0.25"WC Magnehelic, which can be had pretty easily on ebay. Buy yourself an $8 pipe damper now, to have at the ready to install if/when you confirm draft is too strong, it's a pretty quick and simple job.

BKVP has posted on this before. He/BK corporate won’t say install a damper. I will say get a manometer and do whatever you need to get the draft in spec. BK does have a draft spec. 30’ I’m guessing a damper will be needed. But it’s a basement and the stack effect is real and can cause draft issues. You won’t know until you fire it up and without a manometer you are just guessing how close to spec you are.

Just my thoughts.
I believe his hands may be tied there, something about not endorsing any installation that differs from the setup used for EPA testing, or something like that. He has dropped some hints to that effect, but liability or regulations may prevent him from explicitly stating it.

Reactions: BKVP
I much prefer stoves on the ground vs on a platform. Simply because your feet and floor are always cold when the stove is on a platform.

Just wanted to update everyone. Got the new stove in! BK Sirocco 30.2. So far so good! But man that first fire was rough... all the oils and stuff were burning off and set off my smoke alarms... everything is fine now, slight odor but not bad. Anyway my flue ended up around 28' my Elevation calls for 17- 18' of flue so I'm about 10' more. So far I think Ashful is right about the basement effect partly canceling out the long flue. Drafts perfectly fine and issues with control so far. We will see what happens as time goes on with fly ash plugging combuster and what not. Everyone's advice is much appreciated! Thanks all!

20221114_102916.jpg 20221114_102927.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker