Healthcare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
On October 17, 2017, 45 years to the day I was drafted, I applied for VA benefits. I am still waiting for the promised exam. The VA is government health care, or at least it is supposed to be. If I showed up two and a half years late for induction, I would either be in jail or an elected official.
And to make this relevant to this thread, a couple days ago I received a phone call canceling the scheduled appointment due to the pandemic. So, should I be stricken by the WUFLU I am on my own.

I would question the Spanish Flu statistic. Its source appears to be the Chinese government which needs to be taken with a big grain of salt. Ideally now that the cat is out of the bag, I expect the Chinese state is ill equipped to test for the number of people who caught it and had minimal symptoms, while counting fatalities is pretty easy. There is reportedly a major respiratory component to the CV-19 virus. Chinese cities are notorious for very poor long term air quality and that means a lot of the population has compromised respiratory systems to begin with. The Chinese military owns the cigarette companies and use it as source of revenue. Cigarette smoking has exploded in the last few decades which also leads to compromised lungs to begin with. Someone with COPD and other long term lung issues are probably the ones that really need to worry. Sadly I have a few friends that are chain smokers and already are on the cusp of COPD that I worry about. One of the them is big listener to conservative talk radio so he is lapping up folks like Rush spinning "alternative truth"

Some of the data trickling out is large number of the fatalities are elderly with other significant medical issues. I am not particularly worried about myself as I don't have any pulmonary issues, but expect its going to hit some elderly portions of the population. The biggest issue I see is the paranoia of folks. The current administration has been steadily cutting public heath funding so the CDC and had a war on science in general so a lot of the resources that were there have retired or left government service. The media loves it as it get eyeballs on the screen and that also leads to paranoia.
Unfortunately, previous administrations have also cut funding for public health. Many states have also been de-funding rural and other hospitals as a cost savings to consolidate.

On October 17, 2017, 45 years to the day I was drafted, I applied for VA benefits. I am still waiting for the promised exam. The VA is government health care, or at least it is supposed to be. If I showed up two and a half years late for induction, I would either be in jail or an elected official.
And to make this relevant to this thread, a couple days ago I received a phone call canceling the scheduled appointment due to the pandemic. So, should I be stricken by the WUFLU I am on my own.
You need a sponsor, I used the Legion, filed for agent orange diabetes in Sept 19, got 6 mo's $$ on Mar1, added my wife last weekend and got 6 mo's $$ this week. My appt for VA medical was cancelled also. In addition you're gonna get one helluva back payment if they credit your date of file (DOF) from 2017

Last edited:

I am called a right wing racist because I believe there should not be an illegal allowed in the country until the veterans can get the health care they were promised for serving our country.

I would think it can be done as many/most countries do it currently.
... and I’ve visited and/or worked in many of those countries. I’ll just say I’m glad I live here. People who talk about what other countries do, ignoring how infinitely better nearly everything else is here, remind me of my kids complaining that a given schoolmate has one toy they don’t. They’re naive to notice all the privedges they have which thatother kid does not.
I highly doubt much will be done after this to prepare for the next. This is a numbers and money driven industry. From what I’ve seen in the past well learn lessons on how to react better. But we won’t plan for the future.
Change your news channel. It seems all CNN can talk about is mobile morgues being set up, as it fits their narrative, but they’re mostly ignoring the mobile hospitals that were mobilized ten days ago and set up last week, and the hospital ships that were mobilized a week ago and already up and running today. The ship in NYC has 1000 beds and 12 ORs, and is there to provide a Corona-free hospital zone while the hospitals are being used mostly for Corona cases.

and

If you want to see the profit side of healthcare look at the insurance companies. Hospitas don’t make the money, they get by.
Exactly. Worth repeating. And who owns the insurance companies? You, me, everyone with a diversified 401k or stock portfolio.

Yes, that is part of the ugly picture, but the medical equipment companies are another profit facet along with the drug companies.
I’m not sure I’d call them ugly when they provide the technology that saves you or a family member from something considered fatal or incurable in the recent past. Medical research is insanely expensive, with decades-long ROI and many research projects that dead-end and must be paid for by another more successful protocol. It is also an area of business fraught with liability of its own. I’ve lost a few too-young family members in the last 30 years to cancers that would be considered curable today, God bless the medical research companies for the lives they have been able to save, since.

So do you really believe the US Govt just created $2.2 trillion ?
I see it as borrowed. Just simply added onto the $20+ trillion debt already carried by the US taxpayer.

The numbers are still a bit fuzzy, but with about 330 million US population, that would be about $6,700 borrowed per US person.
I look at that as the avg family will pay $20,000 extra over the next 20 years on their tax bill,
This is a good FAQ onthe source and impact of this $2T spending bill:

Do we really think the government having full control of healthcare would improve it? (Because it does such a stellar job with everything else they run...)
Hopefully this isn’t too political, but it’s too fun to not post it:

Last edited:
I am called a right wing racist because I believe there should not be an illegal allowed in the country until the veterans can get the health care they were promised for serving our country.
Who are you upset with? The immigrant or the government? I don't see how the 2 situations coincide? I do agree it's a tragedy that a veteran struggles to be looked after by it's own. I also wonder how many doctor's would that view eliminate? Here, I know that the majority of doctors are what you may consider immigrants.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Who are you upset with? The immigrant or the government? I don't see how the 2 situations coincide? I do agree it's a tragedy that a veteran struggles to be looked after by it's own. I also wonder how many doctor's would that view eliminate? Here, I know that the majority of doctors are what you may consider immigrants.

People that sneak into the US are not immigrants. I should have clarified. Not sure where you live but I have never been in a hospital or clinic where the majority of staff are immigrants. Sorry not sorry I said illegal in my post.

If I am then so is every other industrialized nation. We stand alone amongst developed countries without national healthcare.

Because everyone else is doing it has never been a good indicator that something is a good idea.

Feeling great again?

Don't worry, Ol Joe will save you come November. I kind of doubt he'll remember how to put his own pants on by then.

and I’ve visited and/or worked in many of those countries. I’ll just say I’m glad I live here. People who talk about what other countries do, ignoring how infinitely better nearly everything else is here,
I doubt your view changes from person to person, whatever country they reside. I'm suspecting there are alot of people wondering if their in the right place right now? It's not too nice of a outlook for many places.

Maybe I am ignorant to the way things operate down there. I have heard stories of people needing an MRI or CT scan, not life threatening. Wait for months, get put off or told you will get it in 4 months. Call the nearest center south of the border, make an appointment for a week from now. Make a day trip, get your diagnostic imaging and pay your money. Doctor can now proceed instead of waiting months.
It's a priority based system for sure. Walking in to ER with your head smashed in or suffering from a possible heart attack, away you go for the testing required. Limping with pain from a bad hip, expect to be shuffled back in the line. Basic triage essentially. These "delays" are true, but they are/ were a main focus to correct. Without a doubt, Canada's healthcare can be improved, but in general it is world class. We definitely pay for it via taxes, but the fact that everyone has access without red tape appears to be a miracle in the eyes of many.

It's a priority based system for sure. Walking in to ER with your head smashed in or suffering from a possible heart attack, away you go for the testing required. Limping with pain from a bad hip, expect to be shuffled back in the line. Basic triage essentially. These "delays" are true, but they are/ were a main focus to correct. Without a doubt, Canada's healthcare can be improved, but in general it is world class. We definitely pay for it via taxes, but the fact that everyone has access without red tape appears to be a miracle in the eyes of many.

Whoa hold on there I had a fire crew up in Canada, did not witness world class medical care when there were injuries.

Such as what? They said sorry chum, your insurance doesn't cover this?

I was not injured I had crew members that did. In the states when you are working on a fire the incident takes care of all injuries, as far as expense, so insurance was not the issue. If a guy has an injury and the knee is obviously swollen an x ray or MRI is needed to diagnose the injury, not here is some drugs get the tests when you go home.

Unfortunately as a fellow Canadian I have to disagree with some of this. I probably know just as many people with botched diagnosis and treatments as those with proper care. Particularly in regard to cancer treatment, my younger brother at 21 lost his best friend to cancer that started with a lump on his elbow which was diagnosed as tennis elbow, it was only realized he had cancer once he developed chest pain from the cancer spreading to his lungs, at that point there wasn't much they could do. I also had a neighbor in his mid 60's with a similar ordeal, had cancer was treated and then diagnosed cancer free, he died a month later of cancer. My aunt was also diagnosed with leukemia last year and underwent treatment, she finally got to the point she had to walk in and demand tests and transfusions to keep her alive because the system seemed to loose interest in her case. She fortunately made a successful recovery.

The cost is also not free for most cancer treatments, many of the specialty drugs required to treat it aren't covered by the government and in many cases cost $5k+ per month. My brother's best friend was this case, but they also had 4 other children to feed at that time, how does a family make choices like that? I also worked with a gentlemen whose wife fought cancer for 5 years before passing, same deal $4k per month for drugs, he spent his entire retirement savings on this.

I definitely don't like the fact that the US system is un-affordable for many people, but the level of care is outstanding. I know I'm an extreme example here in Canada, and that most do have successful outcomes, but our system is far from perfect.

Reactions: Ashful
Unfortunately as a fellow Canadian I have to disagree with some of this. I probably know just as many people with botched diagnosis and treatments as those with proper care. Particularly in regard to cancer treatment, my younger brother at 21 lost his best friend to cancer that started with a lump on his elbow which was diagnosed as tennis elbow, it was only realized he had cancer once he developed chest pain from the cancer spreading to his lungs, at that point there wasn't much they could do. I also had a neighbor in his mid 60's with a similar ordeal, had cancer was treated and then diagnosed cancer free, he died a month later of cancer. My aunt was also diagnosed with leukemia last year and underwent treatment, she finally got to the point she had to walk in and demand tests and transfusions to keep her alive because the system seemed to loose interest in her case. She fortunately made a successful recovery.

The cost is also not free for most cancer treatments, many of the specialty drugs required to treat it aren't covered by the government and in many cases cost $5k+ per month. My brother's best friend was this case, but they also had 4 other children to feed at that time, how does a family make choices like that? I also worked with a gentlemen whose wife fought cancer for 5 years before passing, same deal $4k per month for drugs, he spent his entire retirement savings on this.

I definitely don't like the fact that the US system is un-affordable for many people, but the level of care is outstanding. I know I'm an extreme example here in Canada, and that most do have successful outcomes, but our system is far from perfect.

There are many Americans that can not afford insurance but they can afford a smart phone with internet access, new vehicles, and the latest fashions.

Hmmmm....not sure what that indicates? I'm going to guess if there was a significant injury it would have been looked after immediately. Not down playing any injury but a person with a swollen knee, is usually not a case of immediate fixing. Generally fixed with rehab, I seriously doubt a x-ray was not taken to determine the severity.

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I am only speaking in regards to the global issue we are facing currently. My views are that it's a tragedy that people are faced with the reality that WE the world are showing that healthcare needs to be better. The fact that 500,000 or more may succumb to this virus, including 1000's of healthcare/Frontline workers is WRONG. And unfortunately the directions of world leaders and there associates will have a outcome on how many people die is unsettling.

Hmmmm....not sure what that indicates? I'm going to guess if there was a significant injury it would have been looked after immediately. Not down playing any injury but a person with a swollen knee, is usually not a case of immediate fixing. Generally fixed with rehab, I seriously doubt a x-ray was not taken to determine the severity.

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I am only speaking in regards to the global issue we are facing currently. My views are that it's a tragedy that people are faced with the reality that WE the world are showing that healthcare needs to be better. The fact that 500,000 or more may succumb to this virus, including 1000's of healthcare/Frontline workers is WRONG. And unfortunately the directions of world leaders and there associates will have a outcome on how many people die is unsettling.

I was with the injured crew member there was no x-ray, not sure why you think I would lie about it. The guy was injured on the job, assisting overwhelmed local resources. I am not talking about a little swelling, as it turned out the guy had a torn ligament. No worries Canada the Minnesota Dept of forestry covered the workman comp claim.

If I am then so is every other industrialized nation. We stand alone amongst developed countries without national healthcare. This is going to bite a lot of people in the ass as they are laid off and suddenly lose their insurance - in the middle of a health crisis. Feeling great again?

Once laid off wouldn't they qualify for medicare?

Reactions: woodnomore
A quick Google search ranks the countries as far as health care. Many may be surprised at the rankings, especially what's considered No# 2 in the world.

Once laid off wouldn't they qualify for medicare?
No. We do not have universal Medicare. Some low wage earners could qualify for Medicaid. Some states may be modifying requirements due to this health emergency. ACA also offers some options for some depending on the state one lives in. 14 states have refused to expand Medicaid under the ACA, leaving more than 2 million people in poverty without health insurance. The CDC has stated that corona virus testing and care will be covered, but so far there is not a mechanism for payment. This is a serious national issue.

Last edited:
A quick Google search ranks the countries as far as health care. Many may be surprised at the rankings, especially what's considered No# 2 in the world.
Would that be Cuba?

C’mon... let’s be honest, here.

'merica