Healthcare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Meanwhile, Portugal has a surprisingly low number of cases compared to neighboring Spain.

WHO ranks Italy as no #2. Canada no #30
USA no# 37
That's a ranking of efficiency, right?
Here is another ranking. Italy didn't make it into the top 10, but Canada again topped the list. -
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.28.27 AM.png

Our system is far from perfect. The thing that makes me feel better about the current situation is that it doesn't matter if you are the ceo of a mulimillion dollar company, a movie star, average joe or the unfortunate guy on skid row without a penny to their name, you will get the same care in Canada. In the U.S. if you have no insurance, are you going to run to the hospital when you get a fever and a cough? Probably not. Then you might still go to work because you have to and spread it some more. And in the last couple of weeks many more have lost their jobs and are without insurance. I feel terrible for those who get care and then have a hospital bill that will cripple them financially. At least in our system you can go and get the care you need without worrying about the cost.

Our system is far from perfect. The thing that makes me feel better about the current situation is that it doesn't matter if you are the ceo of a mulimillion dollar company, a movie star, average joe or the unfortunate guy on skid row without a penny to their name, you will get the same care in Canada. In the U.S. if you have no insurance, are you going to run to the hospital when you get a fever and a cough? Probably not. Then you might still go to work because you have to and spread it some more. And in the last couple of weeks many more have lost their jobs and are without insurance. I feel terrible for those who get care and then have a hospital bill that will cripple them financially. At least in our system you can go and get the care you need without worrying about the cost.
Funny thing is if you have no job, no insurance, etc you qualify for Medicaid. With that you will never see a bill. While some need it a lot are free loaders on the system. So it comes down to having a good job and good insurance you are the one that is crippled in the end. No job and you’re golden with a serious medical problem.

Funny thing is if you have no job, no insurance, etc you qualify for Medicaid. With that you will never see a bill. While some need it a lot are free loaders on the system. So it comes down to having a good job and good insurance you are the one that is crippled in the end. No job and you’re golden with a serious medical problem.
What is your sample size for the free loader comment? What are the demographics? What constitutes a free loader?

Reactions: bholler
The majority of the runs I make as a Paramedic with those on Medicaid are only on it because they know how to play a game and stay on unemployment.
So what percentage of medicaid recipients have you transported in your state?

Our runs break down to 76% out of 3200 runs a year are medicaid pay.
Yes, but what percentage of the total state medicaid recipients are you transporting? That's what I mean about sample size.

Medicaid recipients are the single largest abuser of the EMS system. They know we cannot bill them over what we are paid and we cannot deny transport to them.
The majority of your clients might be on medicaid, you do not transport enough medicaid recipients to make the judgment that most are freeloaders.

The majority of your clients might be on medicaid, you do not transport enough medicaid recipients to make the judgment that most are freeloaders.
You wanna know what’s funny about that statement? Unemployment has dropped to the lowest its ever been but, the percentage of medicaid transports stayed the same.

Disability will qualify for Medicare so those people are not in the same demographic. There is a saying around here we hear on the ambulance and the ER hears. “We have the Caid” until you experience it you have no clue.

We can and should do better. Healthcare should be a national priority and not a profit center.

So a Dr going to medical school spends a fortune for education and training to become a Dr. It takes special skills and abilities as well as drive to achieve one of the most expensive degrees. I do not begrudge any Dr's income they earned it.

So a Dr going to medical school spends a fortune for education and training to become a Dr. It takes special skills and abilities as well as drive to achieve one of the most expensive degrees. I do not begrudge any Dr's income they earned it.
Perhaps med school shouldn't be so expensive. Poor people aren't stupid, they just can't afford to become doctors or nurses.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Median income for physicians is actually lower than you think. $188k-$218k a year depending on source, while the bottom 25% is roughly $88k a year. I make $82k a year as a manager in an EMS system so it’s not that good. I’ve said it many times. The money in healthcare lies solely with insurance companies, 23.4 BILLION in profit last year.

Reactions: Highbeam and Ashful
The majority of the runs I make as a Paramedic with those on Medicaid are only on it because they know how to play a game and stay on unemployment.
How do you know that? Did you do a full evaluation of their financials?? Check everyone in the household for disabilities etc? I am not saying there are not many taking advantage of the system. But many are working low paying jobs and still not making it.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The Drs pay is a tiny percentage of what makes our Heath are as expensive as it is.

Median income for physicians is actually lower than you think. $188k-$218k a year depending on source, while the bottom 25% is roughly $88k a year. I make $82k a year as a manager in an EMS system so it’s not that good. I’ve said it many times. The money in healthcare lies solely with insurance companies, 23.4 BILLION in profit last year.
Yet you keep saying private insurance with no govt intervention is the answer. That is what got us where we are today.

How do you know that? Did you do a full evaluation of their financials?? Check everyone in the household for disabilities etc? I am not saying there are not many taking advantage of the system. But many are working low paying jobs and still not making it.

I put insurance information and employment information into every chart as does every employee. It’s part of the chart.

if they are disabled they are on medicare not Medicaid.

Yet you keep saying private insurance with no govt intervention is the answer. That is what got us where we are today.
I have never said that once. All I have said is if you think the government can run healthcare you’re an idiot. Government ran programs have lowered payments so much its impossible to survive and now private insurance is following suit while making billions in profits and screwing over the policy holders with huge balance bills.

Don’t try to put words in my mouth.

I put insurance information and employment information into every chart as does every employee. It’s part of the chart.
Ok and when did they last work? Are they stuck home taking care of a disabled relative etc? You are making blanket statements about an entire segment of the population based on your limited experience with your patients in one specific area of the country.

I think I also said “while some actually need it”

There is a need for it but, it is abused too easily.

The majority of all social welfare (medicaid, medicare, WIC, etc.) are on the up and up. You will of course see some chronic abusers of the system, as there are with all systems. Kids learn how to game systems very young, it is something we all do.