Healthcare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yet their healthcare is consistently rated higher than ours. Funny how that works.
Not their prehospital care. We invented the concept of advance prehospital care. Where we use Paramedics the still use physicians for a lot of the advanced level care. London is a good example. They may only have one available for one lucky pt. The rest get a ride to the hospital compared to what I am expected to do.

Reactions: WinterinWI
Not their prehospital care. We invented the concept of advance prehospital care. Where we use Paramedics the still use physicians for a lot of the advanced level care. London is a good example. They may only have one available for one lucky pt. The rest get a ride to the hospital compared to what I am expected to do.
But in the end the overall rating is higher.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
But in the end the overall rating is higher.
Is that why our death rate of 4.4/million with this pandemic is lower than any other European country and dropping everyday while theirs is climbing? Italy’s is over 1000/million

Spain is 146
Germany is 6
UK is 14

their healthcare is nowhere as advanced as ours. Spend some time researching medical studies and you will find a vast majority comes out of the US because we are farther advanced that any other country.

If I was in a car accident tomorrow with a serious life threatening injury, would I choose to be in the US or EU?

My answer is the US.
That depends upon what insurance you have. Yes you will get good care here but you may be bankrupt afterwards. The ratings show the care you would get in much of the EU is as good if not better than here.

Again all of the advancement doesn't do any good if it is priced out of reach of most Americans.

[/QUOTE]
Funny thing is if you have no job, no insurance, etc you qualify for Medicaid. With that you will never see a bill. While some need it a lot are free loaders on the system. So it comes down to having a good job and good insurance you are the one that is crippled in the end. No job and you’re golden with a serious medical problem.
Now that's a mouthful.....wonder if it could improve. I will be honest, here, when the word insurance comes up, it's a license to steal for the provider. Ask a dentist, auto body, restoration company if there's 2 prices. One price they can survive on, one they get rich on.

Reactions: tlc1976

Now that's a mouthful.....wonder if it could improve. I will be honest, here, when the word insurance comes up, it's a license to steal for the provider. Ask a dentist, auto body, restoration company if there's 2 prices. One price they can survive on, one they get rich on.
[/QUOTE]
It’s a wonderful thing when you look at payments where private insurance usually negotiates a reduced payment by 30%-60% but if you don’t have any insurance they won’t negotiate with you.

Our healthcare system for the actual pt care is not broken, it’s the best I the world. Our financial side is completely fubar’d

Is that why our death rate of 4.4/million with this pandemic is lower than any other European country and dropping everyday while theirs is climbing? Italy’s is over 1000/million

Spain is 146
Germany is 6
UK is 14

their healthcare is nowhere as advanced as ours. Spend some time researching medical studies and you will find a vast majority comes out of the US because we are farther advanced that any other country.
Too early and too many variables to make that statement.

Reactions: begreen

Spain is 146
Germany is 6
UK is 14

Not sure where you got those stats, but as of this evening, the US is 8/million and Italy 170/million.

Again dramatically inflated prices. Because they can charge it here. They can't get close to that in other places.

$250k for an ambulance isn't unreasonable. We had a 2019 F550 picker truck built for $160k, an ambulance is far more complex than an oilfield picker truck.

When you are the one in cardiac arrest or having a stroke do you want to ride in a real ambulance or one made by hasbro?

I looked wrong. Overall the world is at 4.4 and yes IS is at 8. That number is dropping everyday.
What number is dropping? The 8? You know that's not possible...

Why wouldn’t it. The number of positive cases is growing exponentially faster than deaths. It will most certainly drop since the majority of the cases are in the populations that do not die as easily from this.
The million part of that fraction is population, not positive cases. If the good doctor Fauci's numbers pan out, your number 8 will got to 606/million.

The million part of that fraction is population, not positive cases. If the good doctor Fauci's numbers pan out, your number 8 will got to 606/million.
The number 8 is deaths per millions. That would mean the death rate would have to increase by 750% even though the largest populations being infected are the ones that recover. The good dr is throwing numbers out there is no science with a range of 100,000 low to high. I’ve never thought he was doing anything more than spreading fear.

Yeah, that's what doctors do.
Education and respect for what we are dealing with is what’s needed. Not fear. Our healthcare system is the best in the world for pt care and more people will live here than anywhere else in the end. We surpassed China, almost doubling their diagnoses cases with less deaths. That says a lot.

I'm wondering about rushed testing resulting in false negatives. It appears that a true negative is challenging for testing. I believe the new test procedure developed by the Illinois company, can show a positive result in 4 mins, while a negative takes 15 mins. Oh and the Illinois governor is telling that company not to ship ANY until that state is fully equipped first. Im not sure what the timeframe is, but I'm guessing that won't be in a matter of hours or days.

Wonder where the new ventilators are? Well the Pentagon reports it has 2000 and has been waiting for 2 weeks to hear from HHS where they are to be delivered.

Meanwhile in Seattle, Ventec is a local company that was going to be contracted, but suddenly the govt. backed out. The spin that we are hearing from DC does not jibe with what Ventec is saying in the local papers. Here are the update and backstory on the GM ventilator deal and the crazy reason for this happening. It's a long one, click on this to get to the timeline and the supporting links. The good news is that GM and Ventec have said screw you to DC and are making them anyway.
GM is making ventilators in spite of DC.

Last edited:
Deaths per million in the US have doubled since Sunday.