Heap interior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I've pulled about 8 cord off the heap in the past few weeks and am pleasantly surprised with the interior. No mold, no wet, just dry wood. Not advocating the heapenhausen for every site or even most sites, but for my site and being 3 years ahead, it works pretty darn good.

Attachments

• 082711 heap.jpg
    082711 heap.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 597
  • 111311 heap interior.jpg
    111311 heap interior.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 600
  • 111311 heap interior2.jpg
    111311 heap interior2.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 595
Looks good. I have a heap going in the driveway that is maybe 2.5 cords now. I hope not to have any rot when i get it stacked. We need to get soem cold so i can burn the stuff that is stacked now and replace it with the heap. yours was loaded on the yard and no rot? sweet

Zero rot. The interior of the heap was dry. The heap sits on a mix of asphalt and stone with good grade/drainage underneath. Windy site, good drainage and southern exposure.

mine in driveway on the north side of the house. very little sun but wind is ok. by the way that is a big heap!

The footprint is about 40 square and it maxes at about 12' high, most of it more like 8 - 10. I push it in and up with the loader on the tractor. I was curious with the 15' of snow last year and all the rain we have had this year what I was going to find in there.

f3cbboy said:
but wind is ok.

I think that is the key. I would never get away with this at our camp in the middle of mature forest.

SolarAndWood said:
I've pulled about 8 cord off the heap in the past few weeks and am pleasantly surprised with the interior. No mold, no wet, just dry wood. Not advocating the heapenhausen for every site or even most sites, but for my site and being 3 years ahead, it works pretty darn good.

Looks good Solar, the site looks like it gets good wind & sun.

zap

You do good with that heap Solar. Here is one of our heaps but within about a week this one was already stacked. I heap it where it will be stacked so it doesn't have to be moved again.

4-4-09f.jpg

One less step (stacking) puts you ahead of my game. My wife would never let that fly. It's got to be stacked and neat!

Congrats on the perfect wood - sure looks good.

Yep, I think the only reason that I can get away with a heapinhausen is because it is on a well drained cement pad with full sun and mega wind.

I have about three cord in a heap out there on bare ground. The soil at the bottom is wet, but the splits aren't rotten and are even seasoned to a degree. The rest is just as dry as the stuff I stacked on pallets back in April. This has been a very rainy season, so I expected the worst. I never would have believed the interior of a heapenholtzen would be so dry, but in conversations with my stove it appears it's as good as anything I've ever fed it.

Of course, my stove thinks I'm nuts for talking to it in the first place.

Battenkiller said:
Of course, my stove thinks I'm nuts for talking to it in the first place.

I don't think your nuts - well, unless the stove is talking back to you. :grrr:

basswidow said:
One less step (stacking) puts you ahead of my game.

We get too much snow to not get it under a roof. The heap just saves an interim stack.

Attachments

• 121010 dug out and ready.jpg
    121010 dug out and ready.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 405
Backwoods Savage said:
so it doesn't have to be moved again.

lol, no such thing in this game until it is ash headed for the garden.

Battenkiller said:
I never would have believed the interior of a heapenholtzen would be so dry

I was amazed how dry the core was. I pulled 5 cord off this weekend alone and I was surprised that pulling it off that fast didn't eventually get me to a damp section.

Same here 7 cord heap sitting for 2 years , dry as a bone in the middle, very surprised. Mine is /was sitting on blacktop.

Good deal for you.
I did that with a heap of birch, the stuff on & near the ground a little over a year later was almost compost.
Wood type, dry ground surface & location definitely played a big role in your success.

bogydave said:
Wood type, dry ground surface & location definitely played a big role in your success.

No doubt. Wouldn't work for everyone but shows that there is more than one way to get it done.

I have no room for a heap. I stack as I split.

Pulled another few cord off and just about mid heap now. No sign of rot, mold, etc.

Attachments

• 112111 heap interior.jpg
    112111 heap interior.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 161
Nice drying conditions for sure.
I thought it snowed in your area, Dry year I guess :)

We got 15' of snow last year and average 10, so its coming. 60 and pouring rain right now though. It's been a wet year for us but a crazy mild November. I was out siding in a t shirt all weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.