Hearth Build / Stove Install with Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
A week or so ago I posted the long story of our (at the time) unfinished hearth build. We have now finished and installed the stove and I just wanted to share for anyone on the fence about doing it yourself; it can be done (even by a tile-challenged individual like myself!).

Basically OSB with metal studs and 2 layers Durock; ventilated for air movement. Pay no attention to the rest of the house, it's "in progress" we bought it as a "handyman special".

Thanks to everyone on the site for support and the excellent resources here.

Attachments

• IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 362
Pat yourself on the back, it looks great.

I know how much work is involved in that sort of thing. I spent November skimcoating an interior masonry chimney with Conproco Structural Skin to get a smooth, paintable surface. I did the tiling on the hearth, too. You will note that I did all of this while the husband was safely at work so I didn't have to suffer the learning curve under his (only slightly more experienced) gaze...

Thanks for the pictorial update, feels good, huh?

Looks Great. What stove is that?

That's a fine looking install! Congrats on the hard work, it turned out really well.

I certainly appreciate the challenges of being a first time tiler. At least you were smart enough to not use slate like I did. :)

Looks good.

Thanks - Slyferret it is an Englander NC-30; we switched from the pedestal to the legs but they were a pain to swap. Now that I've tiled the hearth, my wife wants me to do our kitchen floor!

Status
Not open for further replies.