Hearth extender

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjm1017

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2012
Corapeake NC
I have a board that I got from lowes last year but its just black and I would like to get one that is a little more decorative. The problem I am having is that I can only find ones that are rated for ember protection and I need something for heat protection. Does anybody know what Im talking about and where to get it from? My hearth is not big enough so I need the extended hearth I was hoping to be able to tear it up and redo it this summer but I can see now thats not happening so I would like to find a better hearth extension for the upcoming burning season and maybe redo the hearth next year.

I have a board that I got from lowes last year but its just black and I would like to get one that is a little more decorative. The problem I am having is that I can only find ones that are rated for ember protection and I need something for heat protection. Does anybody know what Im talking about and where to get it from? My hearth is not big enough so I need the extended hearth I was hoping to be able to tear it up and redo it this summer but I can see now thats not happening so I would like to find a better hearth extension for the upcoming burning season and maybe redo the hearth next year.
Look on amazon. There are two type boards listed there. Type I is ember protection only. Type II is rated for ember and heat resistance. Check the specs of the items and it should list the R rating for the heat resistance boards. Make sure the rating of the board you choose exceeds the requirements of your stove.

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.