Hearth Framing Advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Pup

Dec 29, 2015
Maine
I'm installing a Russo W25 in my sister's new house, and I'd like to install a nice hearth and possibly a brick wall behind it. (1" air gap, open all around) I'm quite comfortable with the code and best practices around everything surrounding the stove; what I'm concerned about it the floor joists being able to carry the weight. It'd be on top of 3/4 red oak flooring over subflooring on 2x10s 16o.c. with a 10 ft span. There's a 2x4 wall in the basement directly under the wall the brick would be tied into on the first floor, in line with the joists.

I've been around the trades most of my life, but I'm a cabinet maker; framing is not my specialty. This all feels like it should work to me without building up the framing, but I wondered if anyone could confirm or point me towards resources to figure it out. Throwing another bent in the basement is an option, but the basement is finished so it would require a bunch of trim work and refitting the drop ceiling, and would sort of interfere with the laundry area, so I'd rather dodge it if I can.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks a lot

There is a lot more support there than our stove has in this old farmhouse.

Filled bath tubs are much heavier and the only support they have is being on a perimeter wall. If its on a perimeter or demising wall your good by a good measure. Building a brick wall is a different story unless its at the perimeter. Brick walls can be 4 inches tall x 4 inches thick or 12 feet tall x 12 inches thick etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.