Hearth Question....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oreilly

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2010
Peral River NY
looking to get the Harman Accentra.....question about the hearth.....the sales pearson told me according to NYS code the hearth must go out 18 inches in front of the stove.......i know as far as wood burning stoves she is correct....as far as pellet stoves i dont believe she is....i have a call into the Building Dept....waiting for a answer......does anyone know how far the hearth must come out.....it doesnt have to be NYS code...just trying to get some ideas of different areas...

Check to see what the stove manufacturer recommends.

Most building code for manufactured UL listed solid fuel appliances will simply state. "Install per manufactures instructions"

We are still getting away with 16" hearth for Quad units. Only one that I have seen so far has adapted the new 18" rule. If they do not specifically site the NFPA chapter and section or have thier own version in the local or state codes then the NFPA does not apply from what I understand.

thanks for all the replies......i found out it needs to be six inches out from the front of the stove....i went around the saleswomen and spoke to one of the installers......why she is telling people its 18 inches according to NYS code....only thing i could come up with is she either dumb...or lying....still waiting for the Building Dept to call me to confirm.....but al the info im getting is 6 inches....

as far as what the manufactor calls for....i cant find anything on that...

Tell her to look at the UL label on the back of the stove. US installation requires 6", Canada requires 18" (which IMO is a bit silly for a pellet stove high up on a pedestal).

Attachments

• accentra-clear.jpg
    accentra-clear.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 301
oreilly said:
looking to get the Harman Accentra.....question about the hearth.....the sales pearson told me according to NYS code the hearth must go out 18 inches in front of the stove.......i know as far as wood burning stoves she is correct....as far as pellet stoves i dont believe she is....i have a call into the Building Dept....waiting for a answer......does anyone know how far the hearth must come out.....it doesnt have to be NYS code...just trying to get some ideas of different areas...

A quick look at the Accentra owners/install manual ( P. 2) shows that you need a minimum of just 6" in front of the stove, measured from the front glass face.

Time to look for a new dealer who knows pellet stoves.

www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/Accentra.pdf

BeGreen said:
Tell her to look at the UL label on the back of the stove. US installation requires 6", Canada requires 18" (which IMO is a bit silly for a pellet stove high up on a pedestal).

I always tell people logs must roll further in Canada... in this case I guess pellet ash / cinders blow further too?

Hi imacman, long time no see (I haven't been around here for a while).

I had the same question (and many more) when I installed my stove 2-1/2 years ago and upon visiting my local building inspector, he didn't have a clue either. I did my homework and acquired all the information I could about the stove I have and the hearth recommendations from the stove manufacturer, as well as the specs on all the materials I used to build my hearth. I provided all the above to the inspector and he has since used this information for his own inpection requirements.

For mine it was 6" from the face of the door glass to the edge of the hearth.

Shortstuff said:
Hi imacman, long time no see (I haven't been around here for a while).

I had the same question (and many more) when I installed my stove 2-1/2 years ago and upon visiting my local building inspector, he didn't have a clue either........I provided all the above to the inspector and he has since used this information for his own inpection requirements........

Hey Shortstuff, glad to see you back on the forum. Hope you and your stove are all set for winter.

As far as I'm concerned, the inspector gets a pass from me....he doesn't sell the stoves. I have no problem with him asking for copies of the owners manual install pages (as the inspector did with me), so he makes sure he gets it right.

But a dealer who has access to the stoves, the manuals, the manufacturer, etc, and still doesn't know this info, is not a dealer I want to be asking ANY questions of.

Whenever I've asked my County Codes Enforcement department about clearances on wood and pellet they say go with what the manufacturer says. I don't think NYS has an overarching code that supercedes the towns. So call you local town and see what they say since from what I can tell they are the authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.