Hearth structure - need help with non-combustible ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TomC

Jan 18, 2022
Brielle, NJ
Hi,

This is my first post. I am in the process of a home renovation and installing a wood burning fireplace, zero clearance. The unit is the Napoleon High Country 5000. The unit is being placed on a raised hearth platform, picture of diagram attached. The hearth will be finished with thin brick veneer and a 1.75-2“ slab of bluestone. It calls for 5” of non-combustible material, the bluestone will be 2” but need ideas for building up the other 2.5-3”. I had two ideas and looking for some guidance.

Idea 1.0- put cement board on top of combustible wood frame, use traditional brick to create another 2.25”…. considering mortar for brick and slab It should make up most of remaining height.

idea 2.0 - frame the additional height with metal studs, I called a local supplier and pretty sure I can obtain 2.5” 18 gauge studs. Thinking I would secure the metal studs to the wood platform and make 3 rectangles.…one for the front(80”x 20”) and one for each side(10”x28”). I would the use cement board to cover sides and top so I can mortar the brick veneer and secure the bluestone.

I attached a few picture that may describe what’s going on better than I can explain. There is foundation support below the unit so weight is not really a concern. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tom

3BB244B9-A833-4EE1-82A3-9F94EB0EC8CA.jpeg 5C712AE7-B6E1-456E-A072-9199574E7A4C.png 61C15830-3469-46ED-8928-7185F8AE8B0F.jpeg

Hi,

This is my first post. I am in the process of a home renovation and installing a wood burning fireplace, zero clearance. The unit is the Napoleon High Country 5000. The unit is being placed on a raised hearth platform, picture of diagram attached. The hearth will be finished with thin brick veneer and a 1.75-2“ slab of bluestone. It calls for 5” of non-combustible material, the bluestone will be 2” but need ideas for building up the other 2.5-3”. I had two ideas and looking for some guidance.

Idea 1.0- put cement board on top of combustible wood frame, use traditional brick to create another 2.25”…. considering mortar for brick and slab It should make up most of remaining height.

idea 2.0 - frame the additional height with metal studs, I called a local supplier and pretty sure I can obtain 2.5” 18 gauge studs. Thinking I would secure the metal studs to the wood platform and make 3 rectangles.…one for the front(80”x 20”) and one for each side(10”x28”). I would the use cement board to cover sides and top so I can mortar the brick veneer and secure the bluestone.

I attached a few picture that may describe what’s going on better than I can explain. There is foundation support below the unit so weight is not really a concern. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tom

View attachment 290176 View attachment 290177 View attachment 290179
Concrete block would probably be the easiest

Hi TomC. I’m looking at buying a High Country 5000 or 8000. Just wondering if you could give an update/review of your 5000. I’m having a hard time finding reviews of these fireplaces.
Thanks very much in advance.

We are still in the install stage but can offer some feedback. The unit seems to be built extremely well, the doors move like silk…there is no force needed to move them up/down. Our goal was to have it look as close as possible to a full masonry fireplace. I did look at other zero clearance units that would have been an easier install but they did not have glass doors. To add the glass doors to those units was about $1500-2000 and figured this was a good option. By the time you add glass doors to the other zero clearance units you are basically at the same price or more. I also think the guillotine door/screen is very cool…getting good feedback from the sub-contractors working at our house on it as well. The glass door for this unit can be closed while the fire is burning, this was attractive to me as I like to load the fireplace with wood before going to bed and like this safety feature. The doors you add to other zero clearance units cannot be closed during operation, the glass will break due to heat.

The install for this unit requires more work and planning than many other zero clearance units. I would recommend looking at the installation guide for clearances and where combustible material can be used and where non-combustible is required. Unit also weighs 750lbs with brick so it is important you have the good floor support. I am attaching a picture of what the install looks like and what we were trying to create. We used class a double wall pipe.

Our chaise is 60” wide for reference. I would have liked to have the 8000 for more size but think this fits our room well…8000 is double the price of 5000, as you probably know.

Let me know if any other questions. Not many reviews of this unit at all, I had some anxiety when I made the purchase as I never saw the unit in person and minimal reviews….that being said I am happy with our purchase.

0E679BF6-7FF8-42EA-90CB-4F68CE24E828.png A5726351-6816-41B9-A72E-493F9311C64F.jpeg 1F2B94D2-89F4-45D4-954E-532DF574013B.jpeg

also, well if it's not too late, but if you ever want to put a TV above it or whatever, to plumb it now for wires and such...

Thanks very much for all this info and the pictures. You have a beautiful setup.
If I do get the 8000 (I may be able to pick up a second hand one), I will let you know how the install goes.
I also like the guillotine glass and screen. I’m hoping it will throw off a bit of heat and hopefully we’ll have a few coals in the morning.
Thank you again!

Thanks very much for all this info and the pictures. You have a beautiful setup.
If I do get the 8000 (I may be able to pick up a second hand one), I will let you know how the install goes.
I also like the guillotine glass and screen. I’m hoping it will throw off a bit of heat and hopefully we’ll have a few coals in the morning.
Thank you again!
Think about a woodstove instead. One that can burn with the door open if you want the "fireplace" feel. It will be so much better.

Thank you again!
I do believe it will throw off some heat but not comparable to insert or wood stove. The 8000 is sweet, HUGE viewing area…if you can get one second hand that could be a good option. These units are solid.

Tom C, obviously not what you are after and to late anyway. But Dreamers may be able to consider it. I have Jotul F400. It can be burned with the door open. It comes with a spark screen. We love it and it pumps out enough heat to heat our house (with the door closed). Win Win. There are others with the same ability.