Hearthstone Craftsbury Cook top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotMama

Oct 26, 2010
Nowheresville, NB
Friends--

We are looking at the Craftsbury, but cannot tell from the literature if the top gets hot enough to qualify as a cook top. We realize it may not be an "official" cook top, but we understand that if there is no obstruction between the fire and the top, the top will become hot enough to boil water. We just want to be able to put a cast iron kettle on and have a spot of tea.

I've had my stove top surface temp at 450-500 deg. I can't say I've ever tried heating water on it, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I bought it from Lehman's Hardware in Kidron Oh. They did the installation as well. Nice people to deal with and reasonable prices.

Lehman's is wonderful! Another question about your Craftsbury: do you believe that the soap stone interior affords you the sort of heat retention that the other Hearthstone soap stone stoves are reputed to offer? Thank you so much for responding!

I would say that the heat retention is good. To be fair, I can't compare it to the other soapstone stoves that they make, because I don't have anything to compare it to. Glad to help. :)

Does the airwash that supposedly burns off the soot from the front glass actually work or do you find that your glass gets black? Have you done the dollar bill test on your door and did it pass? Have you seen any issues with metal fatigue or warping of the box? :long:

The air wash works pretty well. I will say that a small portion of the glass at very bottom corners sometimes gets dirty. All stoves will have some degree of soot on the glass even with airwash. It's very easy to clean though-just dip a wet paper towel in the ash left from the wood and wipe it off. Only clean when glass is cold.

Yes, my stove passes the dollar bill test.

No issues so far with any warping or the like. The key is not to over-fire the stove. I'd recommend a stove top thermometer as others did to me. It's much easier to look and see the temperature rather than to guess if it's getting too hot or not hot enough.

Welcome to the forum hotmama. Love that name!

Although we do not have the Hearthstone, we have a Woodstock and during the winter my wife does lots of cooking on our stove. Woodstock sells what they call glove warmers and boot dryers. These are just small blocks of soapstone that work fantastically for what they are advertised for but they also serve to sit pots and pan on. It works well for us.

500 degrees stove top is hot but we routinely get ours to 650 or even up to 700. I know Hearthstone says not over 600 but Woodstock says 700. Of course the stoves are built differently too and that is why the difference in temperatures recommended.

On the black glass, we do get it but only in the fall when we start with some small fires. As soon as we have a decent fire the glass cleans itself. Maybe twice every year though we will have to clean the glass and that is very easy to do. Let the stove burn down to a few coals, wad some newspaper and dampen it (not soak it, just dampen). Dip that into the ashes that are in the stove and wipe the glass. It works wonderfully. If you want a storefront shine you can finish with just a little windex and paper towel and that glass will be as clean as any of your windows.

Congratulations on your new stove and good luck to you.

Rob is correct. Get yourself two stove thermometers. One for the top of the stove and the other for the flue. They will really tell you what is happening inside that stove. One caveat. The temperature might be off. You can check them if your oven is the right temperature. Set them in the oven, turn to maybe 500 and see if they agree.

I like Lehman's as they are good but we got one thermometer from them and it was pure junk (most are as we've found). Good luck finding a good one. btw, so far we've had good luck with the ones from Woodstock but none from out of a hardware. I really do not know why either as it is such a simple thing.

hotmama said:
Thanks again for the information! We are considering the matte black. It looks quite nice in your profile picture. :)

Thank you! Good luck!

As Dennis recommended, I have the woodstock thermometer. I haven't tried a comparison with an oven thermometer (I'll have to try that).

Dennis--

Thanks for posting! Those soapstone blocks sound very interesting, I am very excited about the possibility of cooking on the stove! And drying boots and gloves is a great idea. I'm sure there are many uses for the stove I haven't even considered. I'm eager to learn more!

Status
Not open for further replies.