Hearthstone H-II baffle question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CJFritz

Jan 28, 2018
Northern Minnesota
I am the proud owner of a classic Hearthstone H-II stove. I got it used years ago, and put it into dry storage. I have never used it as yet, but am considering it. I currently have it listed on Craigslist to potentially sell it, however, if I don't have any takers at the asking price, I am considering using it myself.

My question is how much deflection is permissible for the upper baffle/heat shield? It is a bit saggy right in the middle at the front of the stove, but it is still very solid and shows no sign of perforation or deterioration of the steel.
Am I still in good shape with 1-1.25" of deflection?
The rest of the internals are in very nice shape. Secondary air tube is straight as an arrow. It really doesn't look like it was used that much by the previous owner, whom I believe, was the original purchaser of the stove.
I can post pics if that would help in the assessment, just let me know.

Thanks!

CJ

It will probably be ok, but watch it as the sag will worsen. Remove the secondary tube and inspect carefully for a crack in the middle that might be allowing too intense burn in center of the stove.

It will probably be ok, but watch it as the sag will worsen. Remove the secondary tube and inspect carefully for a crack in the middle that might be allowing too intense burn in center of the stove.

Thanks much for the quick reply!
I will tear into it this weekend, and check that tube carefully.
Would it be worth the time to take out the baffle and straighten it out? I suppose if I were to go that far, I might as well just bring it into the local metal shop and have them fabricate a new one.

You might be able to straighten it out a little bit, but I think it would sag again after getting hot.

Woodmans sells them for about $200.00.. To do the job you'll have to remove and recement the top stones so you'll need the 5 lb. tub of Hearthstone cement, about $30.00. Not too terrible really. Hard part is usually getting the old baffle out if it's badly warped. Yours doesn't sound so bad yet, but if you're gonna make it work for a living it'll get worse and it's really nice when these guys are running their best!

Woodmans sells them for about $200.00.. To do the job you'll have to remove and recement the top stones so you'll need the 5 lb. tub of Hearthstone cement, about $30.00. Not too terrible really. Hard part is usually getting the old baffle out if it's badly warped. Yours doesn't sound so bad yet, but if you're gonna make it work for a living it'll get worse and it's really nice when these guys are running their best!

That is good info to have, thank you! The top stones have been removed once already before I acquired it. (the guys trying to move it thought that would make it easier to move, FAIL!) So I already need to re cement them before any use. Perhaps I will just do a refurb on it in my spare time as it doesn't need much work to start huffing smoke again, and sell it off to someone that could use it more than I.

i had to put a new one in mine. the easiest way i found was to take of the top. and you should get new it looked like threaded rod and nuts and washers to do it. once the top is pulled it's a quick job to replace. bad thing about the sag is it takes up room in the firebox. i had a welding shop 2 miles down the road make me up one out of boiler stock and it was only $130.00