Hearthstone Heritage IV Catalyst clogging up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boomstick Bruce

Nov 14, 2021
Montreal
Hi all,

Quick question about the catalyst on my Hearthstone Heritage IV.

This is the 2nd winter I have it, but the first that I'm operating it as primary heat source for the house and have it burning 24/7 (or almost).

Beginning of the season, I had some proper issues with the catalyst. Posted here( https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...tove-combustion-is-mine-working-right.189461/ )trying to figure out what it was. In the end, the issue was that my cat got all clogged up during summer. Quick vacuum cleanup and it was fine.

Thing is.... we're now mid january and I'm at my 3rd vacuum maintenance.

So yeah... is this normal? Or am I doing something that can promote a clogged cat? Do doubt in my mind that the stove needs cleaning and maintaining, but was I wrong to assume it was a yearly thing at the end of the heating season?

Cheers!

Clogging with fly ash would be most likely due to too high draft.
How tall is your chimney?

Clogging with fly ash would be most likely due to too high draft.
How tall is your chimney?
Must I only consider the exterior portion?

Because the chimney connects on top of the stove and shoots straight up through the cathedral roof.

Inside I would average 9'-10', and outside I would average the same thing.

Regardless I will get back to you with exact measurements.

The total length from stove too to too of the chimney.
If it's 18-20 ft it may indeed be too much draft. The stove requires a minimum of 13'. You're at 150 pct of that.

A key damper might be needed to keep draft in check and suck less fly ash into the cat.

Can you dial down the stove properly by closing the air or do you always see flames even on the lowest settings?

I don't have your stove - so I hope others with experience on this stove will chime in.

Nay, only hard wood. The only time I burn softwood is as fire kindling to get a cold stove going.
Actually, some softwoods produce a lot less ash than hardwoods. It's one of the things I like about burning Doug fir. I only have to clean out the ash 2-3 times a year.

Reactions: Highbeam