Hearthstone III cat stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1919

Jan 14, 2011
Penn.
Hi,
I'm a new member. I've been reading the site for a couple months. I'm new to using wood for heat. have an old dutchwest federal airtight that is too small and inefficient that i'm looking to replace. I have a very limited budget so a new stove is out of the question. I'm taking a look at an old Hearthstone III cat stove this afternoon. I'm not finding a lot of info on this stove out there. anyone using one of these? any idea what the sq ft guesstimate is on how much it will heat? Also I'm planning on doing a hearth installation in front of the fireplace, running the flue back to my chimney liner. It will angle up slightly to meet it.
Thanks
greg

Also, a local dealer(with 30 yrs experience) when i asked if the cat was still available said yes, and suggested i should just take it out and use it without it. is this a okay to do?
greg

Dont use it it withouth the cat. If this is the guy that just called Frank at Fireside Chatts an hour or so ago, I am not the one who said not to take out the combustor. Also, 26 years of experience, not 30 ;)

I've seen a couple pictures of this stove and thought it was a cool looking stove. Make sure you check out the innards for any warpage, parts are hard to come by from what I've heard. The stove was designed to burn with the cat for the best efficiency, I wouldn't burn without it.

well that was a bummer, the stove condition was completely misrepresented in my phone calls. had a broken leg and needed gaskets and who knows what else. poor condition. So i'm still looking. I do like the look of it tho. Also I need a bigger one anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.