Hearthstone Increase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
I hear that hearthstone is going up 10% september 1, if your in the market, it would not be a bad time to buy.

Funny i just got the email. Here are some clips

Last year, I took my tri-annual trip to Brazil to bounce around on hundreds of miles of dirt roads looking at stone quarries, factory progress and see our valuable partners. It became obvious that the Acaiaca quarry we have used for 20 years; off and on, was beginning to get scrappy. No problem; the new one was coming on line nicely. Unfortunately, the new quarry was shut down in April of 2006 for environmental reasons. Our supplier in Brazil had an other alternative and was not worried. We got a sample set of the new stone and built a Heritage for torture testing. The stone was not acceptable for HearthStone quality. I met with a major Finnish supplier in Italy and tried to set up an arrangement with them. Their demand is such that there really was no possibility of them supplying us. I then went back to Brazil and put more pressure on exploration and supply. We have now at least two viable alternative quarries with our existing supplier, who is frantically re filling the pipe line. We have grown every year and I am concerned that they can grow as fast as us.

I returned Saturday from my third trip to Brazil this summer and we have some news: HearthStone has made an investment in our supplier to help them meet our ever growing demand for MORE SOAPSTONE. We have also lined up another major supplier who is now working out how to cut our stones for us. They are very technology and growth oriented, and, I believe very capable of making up any shortfall in stone we may have in the future. They have 60 registered claims!

With the worldwide demand on soapstone (our secret is out) and the weak US dollar, we have been taking steady increases in cost, up to 37% now. I fully expect this trend to continue this year. Effective September 1, 2006; all soapstone stoves and stone sets will be subject to a price increase in the order of 10%. We have got to do this to keep our company healthy, our supplier healthy and keep the stone flowing.

Thanks you for your support and patience at this time. We will honor your orders in the sequence we get them; the stone is arriving at production speed now, and we will be building through the season. The HearthStone you sell today is the best quality ever. We are building a quality system in to place to insure we do not miss anything. Our soapstone customers will see the advantages of waiting a short time for their handcrafted soapstone stove.

Have a great season,
Hearthstone

Yea double wammy for us, stoves are out untill october AND they jacked the price 10%. Thats substantial on a $2500 stove....

MountainStoveGuy said:
Yea double wammy for us, stoves are out untill october AND they jacked the price 10%. Thats substantial on a $2500 stove....
I'm sure they already had the price increase because of the price of steel shot way up again this year . Is this the price hike they have had ?

No, there claiming this increase due to stone avaliblity. Not a whole lot of steel in hearthstones, mostly cast iron and stone. This is the first increast this year i believe, and they usually come in spring, not fall. In this volitile market , i dont know what to expect anymore. But 10% hurts.

MountainStoveGuy said:
No, there claiming this increase due to stone avaliblity. Not a whole lot of steel in hearthstones, mostly cast iron and stone. This is the first increast this year i believe, and they usually come in spring, not fall. In this volitile market , i dont know what to expect anymore. But 10% hurts.
I agree 10% is not an easy shot to take . All the steel stoves took there price increase so with the stone stove increase there still inline with the other stoves .

Didn't the memo you posted also mention currency exposure has hit them to the tune of 37 % then transport from Brazil..It is expensive for a relatively small company to hedge...

Yea, it would be very hard to swallow, and im not asking them to. A little heads up would have been nice, then i could have givin the members a 1 month heads up instead of a 1 week. I think its justified, but on a fast darn notice. I heard the rumor when i got to work this morning, and right after i posed this the email came confirming it.

Roospike said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
I agree 10% is not an easy shot to take . All the steel stoves took there price increase so with the stone stove increase there still inline with the other stoves .

Well on a scale yes, they will all be increased by the same percentage, but retail dollars are far apart. The quad 3100 millenium, which two years ago was $899 now its $1199 The mansfield in enamel 2 years ago was $2299, currently $2699 and as of sept 1 $2999

Quite a change in a few months... got mine in early June... the dealer gave me 15% off list

Harly timing is everything and in a few days you can bragg that you got 25% off

Just came from the friendly neighborhood family owned hearth store. While I was there big brother was on the phone getting the good news about the Hearthstone increase. I don't think he understood it right because he was talking to the troops about a 37% increase. But not wanting to be a "know everything" and treat a great guy like an "imbecile" I just went about my business.

That business being drooling on some Lopi, Hearthstone and Harman stoves on the sales floor. That Lopi Freedom insert got a few drool spots on it. I like 24" splits. Of course heart surgery is in order after seeing the $2,400 price for a hunka black steel and some bricks. Including tax would be the same as that new Dodge Challenger cost me way back when.

He had a Harman XXV sitting out on the sidewalk cooking pellets. Stove works great. It was keeping the whole town at 91 degrees without any problem.

Mike Wilson said:
Wow, they don't get upset over you posting their emails on HearthNet?

Not that its anything bad or earth shattering, just the point of it.

-- Mike

I dont think so, if any thing i just made there august end numbers look better, i edited it for comsumer use, and members got a deal. Win Win IMO. Plus i didnt call them and tell them, they dont know who i am reguardless on here, and thats about it.

brian_in_idaho said:
MSG, your post just saved me about $250. If you are ever in North Idaho look me up, I owe you a beer. OK, several beers.

Bri

Hey be carefull who you offer beer too, i have been known to drink my fair share ;)

Well if im ever up your way, it will be on a fishing trip. And i will take you up on that offer.

In the future, i will try to keep memebers on upcoming increases as i see them. Usually a point or two isnt worth reporting, but this amount i found worthy of a post.

Choppedliver said:
FYI I ordered a "stocking order" of 25 more wood stoves from Hearthstone on wednesday of this week to avoid the price increase, on Friday I got a Ship date from them on that order of 12/26/06 for all but 2 of the stoves I ordered. That sucks!!
Wow , 4 months ! At least you get the older price before the increase ? So does the dealer sell at the older price they ordered at when stock shows up in December or the new price ?

Roospike said:
So does the dealer sell at the older price they ordered at when stock shows up in December or the new price ?
MountainStoveGuy said:
Typically the new price.
HarryBack said:
Yep, most pricing is keyed on delivery date, not order date. Ouch!
With me being on the business end of things with my own service/business i see the great advantage of selling and ordering items this way. Very nice little extra $$ for the books . Its just like ordering pellets or whatever at one cost and selling at the highest market price in December when people wait until the last minute to buy . As if i was a buyer only and not in the retail market with the lack of knolage i would feel robed with this kind of selling . Buy now and sell later , Thats just the way it works . Some times you get the gold and sometimes it gets you .

Status
Not open for further replies.