Hearthstone Manchester Glass Cracked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rkbirdsey

Nov 27, 2021
North East
I replaced the front door gasket on my Hearthstone Manchester 8360 wood stove. A couple of weeks later the grass on the door cracked. The stove is approximately 8 years old and after some research chalked it up to the glass was fatigued. I installed the OEM glass and now after a couple of weeks it has a crack in approximately the same place. Has anyone experienced this situation and if so, what was the solution to fix it?

Is there a clamp in the area of the crack or was it touching the door metal with no gasket protection?

Last edited:
Stove doors flex and move a little bit with temperature change. The glass needs to float, sealed at the edges by the glass gasketing and held not too tightly by the clamps. I had the glass crack once when I refinished a stove and removed the glass for painting. The glass went back together fine. But then, a couple days later, it cracked when I went to close the door. This was because I put too much tension on the glass clamp. I was more careful with the replacement.

Reactions: clancey
Stove doors flex and move a little bit with temperature change. The glass needs to float, sealed at the edges by the glass gasketing and held not too tightly by the clamps. I had the glass crack once when I refinished a stove and removed the glass for painting. The glass went back together fine. But then, a couple days later, it cracked when I went to close the door. This was because I put too much tension on the glass clamp. I was more careful with the replacement.
Thank you. That does make sense. Before the original glass broke, I installed a new door gasket, do you think that if the gasket/glue is not evenly applied could cause the door to warp a little putting pressure on the glass and this is what caused the original glass to break? I want to make sure that I avoid another piece of glass breaking. It is very expensive. Again Thank you!

It's hard to say, but it's unlikely the new gasket was at fault. Often it is too much tension on the glass clips that cause the issue.

OEM glass can be expensive. You might want to get a comparison quote from a good local glass shop or online from https://www.onedayglass.com .