Hearthstone Mansfield rebuild questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman1

Hearth Supporter
Mar 12, 2009
Northern Michigan
Today ( courtesy of Craigslist ) I bought a used Hearthstone Mansfield stove that has some damage to the secondary tubes and and baffle plate. Outside of the stove looks great and appears to have no cracked stones. Inside the second from the front air tube warped and fell out and the baffle plate has a hole in it. The rest appears o.k. with the exception of the upper stone frame which may be warped, but did not look too bad upon light inspection. I paid very little for the stove and aim to repair the damage. The stove has blue enamel and if the upper stone frame is warped enought to justify replacement or repair what is the most economical route to get this stone monster breathing fire again? Is it a really tough job to take the top stones off?

Bushman

Attachments

• 3m53p23leZZZZZZZZZ96340754a8237651811.jpg
    3m53p23leZZZZZZZZZ96340754a8237651811.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 425
Is this a newer model stove? I'll go by my experience with a modern Hearthstone heritage that should be very similar to your mansfield. To replace those secondary tubes you need to pop the secondary manifold out. The manifold is a 2-piece casting that sandwiches the tubes so you need to get it out to replace the tube. Oddly, these tubes should be under a pretty good warranty so if it doesn't look overfired then maybe the original owner can get this fixed under warranty for you.

I had a Hearthstone tech come out to do some work on my stove including removal of that secondary manifold. It was easy. The man also told me that he had replaced the tops of these stoves before and that it is the first thing to fail when overfired. Not that bad of a deal according to him.

The ceramic baffle is easy and pretty cheap to replace. It is a wear item and should be less than 100$. I've patched mine with furnace cement.

messing with the stones will be tons of fun... each one has a grove cut in, and the seat together w/ a steel spline (or biscuit) coated w/ furnace cement. trying to take them apart is a little hairy, cause you can break them.. we have rebuilt many older hearthstones, and some newer ones with cracked stones, and while it is not technically difficult, it is touchy work to avoid chippin the stones, or breaking the groove the steel spline lays into.

Status
Not open for further replies.