Hearthstone Shelburne 8372 Operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I pulled it all off, added the additional height and then put it back on. It was not as easy as that though. Total weight is probably only 60lbs but cantilever stuff out 9.5 ft and you can imagine how you have to wrestle with it. Disclaimer, if I didn't go to the gym religiously it would have been a lot harder.

These don't twist together. It's 3 screws per connection. The slip fit is pretty tight though. They came apart relatively easily after a year.
Ah yeah i can imagine it’s a little sketchy when dealing with the full length of it all. I’ll probably convert mine over to a similar setup as yours next spring, anchor plate for the class a. I want to add another couple feet for good measure and need to add a brace as well. Just a tricky spot on the roof for a ladder

Ah yeah i can imagine it’s a little sketchy when dealing with the full length of it all. I’ll probably convert mine over to a similar setup as yours next spring, anchor plate for the class a. I want to add another couple feet for good measure and need to add a brace as well. Just a tricky spot on the roof for a ladder
I had put together a roof ridge stand, so basically a platform that hugs the ridge of the roof. Even though it was pretty stable it was too sketchy for my liking, so I didn't use it in the install. Honestly, if I have to do anything with this chimney system again I'll just rent a scissor lift for the day. I have the sooteater chimney cleaner with the white rods so I'm fairly confident I'll just clean bottom up from now on.

When I cleaned out the system most creosote I found was in the adjustable elbow right off the back of my stove. I'm getting rid of that and elevating the stove to meet the rear exit pipe so I suspect the entire system will get a draft improvement from that as well. I was told that having the adjustable right off the back shouldn't impact draft much, but based on my recent cleaning it definitely contributed to my less than ideal draft.

I had put together a roof ridge stand, so basically a platform that hugs the ridge of the roof. Even though it was pretty stable it was too sketchy for my liking, so I didn't use it in the install. Honestly, if I have to do anything with this chimney system again I'll just rent a scissor lift for the day. I have the sooteater chimney cleaner with the white rods so I'm fairly confident I'll just clean bottom up from now on.

When I cleaned out the system most creosote I found was in the adjustable elbow right off the back of my stove. I'm getting rid of that and elevating the stove to meet the rear exit pipe so I suspect the entire system will get a draft improvement from that as well. I was told that having the adjustable right off the back shouldn't impact draft much, but based on my recent cleaning it definitely contributed to my less than ideal draft.
It's fairly common to see accumulation in the horizontal run off the rear exit and where it hits the wall of the cold outside tee. Flue gases move slower there.

It's fairly common to see accumulation in the horizontal run off the rear exit and where it hits the wall of the cold outside tee. Flue gases move slower there.
ok good to know, everything else just had powder on the walls of the flue

Welp, after installing thermocouples on the flue / stove top I've realized that I've been using the incorrect emissivity settings on my IR gun for the past couple of years. I've also confirmed the bi-metallic temperature gauges aren't very precise. I have been using 0.7-0.8 for emissivity for the black stove/flue, but I should have been using 1.0 because it's more or less a black body (OMEGA reference).

Using the lower settings the IR gun was reading ~407 F while the thermocouple was reading 260 F. With the correct setting the IR gun is reading ~330 F while the thermocouple is reading ~305 F (can't measure at the exact same location because the thermocouple is being held down by the bi-metallic gauge). For the flue measurement, the IR gun is +/- 5 F from the thermocouple.

Aside from the other problems I've had I feel like this also explains why I've found it so hard to control the temperature of the stove for the past couple of years. I've been reading artificially high flue/stove temperature values with my IR gun. Hopefully this makes controlling the stove easier going forward.