Hearthstone Shelburne vs. Woodstock Fireview ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sage5289

Feb 27, 2016
CT
Time for a new stove.. I’m heating a 1500 sq ft cape in New England looking to use as primary heat but do have back up propane, between these two beautiful stoves what is important to me is burn time, we are gone from the house for 9 hrs through the day and of course then overnight burns. Upgrading from an Older hearthstone that is a wood hog and would require restarting everyday. I’m looking to be done with that, so asking here for those that have burned either, burn times and hoping to not get another wood hog. Thanks for all the great insight here !

To add it’s being inserted through existing outer wall fireplace and the insulation in the home, well it leaves for some improvements

The fireview is a vastly superior performer if the major considerations are burn time and efficiency. It’s an actual cat stove with a long history of happy owners.

. . .I’m heating a 1500 sq ft cape in New England looking to use as primary heat but do have back up propane, between these two beautiful stoves what is important to me is burn time, we are gone from the house for 9 hrs through the day and of course then overnight burns. . .the insulation in the home, well it leaves for some improvements. . .
My standard reload schedule(for regular winter, not polar vortex weather) is every 12 hours, and my Fireview always has plenty of hot coals for me at that time. The Fireview will easily give you a 10-hour burn. The question is: will a 2-cu-ft load of wood burning at that rate keep your house with weak insulation warm in NE?

My house is about the size of yours, and of similar design and questionable insulation. Normally, I reload 2x per day. When we have a cold snap, I'm reloading 3-4 times per day. Cold snap here in Va may be like regular winter for you in NE. You may want to consider a larger stove. Woodstock's Absolute Steel is a bit bigger than the FV, but perhaps not too big.