Hearthstone Tribute broken corner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RnB

Jan 5, 2019
California
Hello All,
I bought a beautiful used Tribute, but when moving the beast home we caught a leg on the trailer and broke it off. Turns out the leg didn't break- the corner of the bottom cast iron piece it was bolted to broke!
I see I can buy a new bottom ($$) but I am wondering if someone can walk me through how to replace it. Hoping that I can start at the bottom, rather than have to disassemble my way down from the top!

Any help much appreciated.

RnB

Good news is that it's underneath unseen and possibly could be pinned/welded/repaired somehow by an expert. Bad news dollars to doughnuts it's coming apart to repair it. In woodworking, whenever there is a mistake, it becomes a challenge rather than a mistake to repair it.

I'm not familiar with your particular stove, so I don't know what it looks like underneath where this leg broke off; however, if the stove is going to be used in a location where it won't be a focal point (such as in a basement) you might get away with propping up that corner with something non-combustible and put the leg back in place for cosmetic purposes and not worry about the structural integrity. I have a second stove in my basement where the lighting is not very good and in such a setting I would try something like that before I would spend a lot of money trying to replace the entire bottom of the stove.

I'm not familiar with your particular stove, so I don't know what it looks like underneath where this leg broke off; however, if the stove is going to be used in a location where it won't be a focal point (such as in a basement) you might get away with propping up that corner with something non-combustible and put the leg back in place for cosmetic purposes and not worry about the structural integrity. I have a second stove in my basement where the lighting is not very good and in such a setting I would try something like that before I would spend a lot of money trying to replace the entire bottom of the stove.

Yep, that’s my fall back plan. Unfortunately the stove is going to be front and center in my living room, so I’ll have to get creative. But I think it’s doable.

Since you bought a tribute, I assume the space
You are heating is very small? Might try contacting hearthstone customer service. I’ve never rebuilt a tribute, but the other models pretty much require a total rebuild for something like this.

Is it possible to drill, tap and screw it back to the body with some jb weld on the joint? I'd be tempted to try that first, especially if a good mechanical connection can be made.

Since you bought a tribute, I assume the space
You are heating is very small? Might try contacting hearthstone customer service. I’ve never rebuilt a tribute, but the other models pretty much require a total rebuild for something like this.

I sent an email to Hearthstone. Hope to lear back from them on Monday.

Is it possible to drill, tap and screw it back to the body with some jb weld on the joint? I'd be tempted to try that first, especially if a good mechanical connection can be made.

I was just thinking that same thing. I’ll wait until I hear from HS customer service. But right now I am thinking I’ll create a support behind/hidden by the leg to take the weight, and then reattach the broken corner as best I can and remount the leg.