• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

No Fog Big Daddy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hello all,

I purchased a used Hearthstone Homestead recently and have been working to get it as ready for winter as I can. Here is what I know about the stove:
  • It was purchased about 16 years ago.
In all seriousness, that's all I have to work with. I have no records of anything that was changed out or replaced. The gaskets are in decent condition as far as I can tell. When I performed the "dollar bill test" along the front door at most spots it was solid and I could not remove it, but at a 10" section at the top left it was removed with 3/10 effort.

So really my questions are:
  1. Do I need to be replacing this gasket at all?
  2. Are there any useful aftermarket versions of the recommended hearthstone gaskets? (It seems like every other stove has readily accessible aftermarket options.)
Let me know if you have any other questions that will help you answer either of these questions better.

Thanks!

Replace the gaskets. It can't hurt. "USA" as a location doesn't really help us point to a dealer in your area for parts, but you can get Rutland Gasket material at many different places & that is as good as any gasket on the market. Take a piece of your existing gasket to match it, wherever you end up going & get RTV silicone to attach it to the door channel. there are plenty of gasket replacement videos on the net to show you the correct way to install the new one.

Replace the gaskets. It can't hurt. "USA" as a location doesn't really help us point to a dealer in your area for parts, but you can get Rutland Gasket material at many different places & that is as good as any gasket on the market. Take a piece of your existing gasket to match it, wherever you end up going & get RTV silicone to attach it to the door channel. there are plenty of gasket replacement videos on the net to show you the correct way to install the new one.

My location is Meridian Idaho. I have been looking some and cannot find the 3/8" Low Density Gasket that is recommended by hearthstone. I've read elsewhere on this forum that hearthstones are "sensitive" to the gaskets used. I know there are gasket kits such as http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/65604/560100/Maintenance/Hearthstone-Homestead-Gasket-Kit.html , but is that the only option?

Rutland's gasket is pretty low density and easily available. I'd give it a try.