Heat cure without lighting a fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aksoprano

May 16, 2023
Alabama
Just painted the inside of my wood burning fireplace with rust oleum high heat. We rent this out and want to put something large and decorative in it to deter renters from using it, but we aren’t ruling out ever using it again someday, so instead of normal paint, we went with high heat. It has been 24 hours and the house still reeks, despite windows and doors being open. I was reading about heat cure at 450 degrees, but as I don’t want to light it and make a mess, is there an alternative way to get that kind of heat? Will the smell dissipate if we don’t cure it? Thanks!

The reality is that stove is going to stink each time it hits a new high temperature. 700F is normal and 900F isn't uncommon for stove top temperature on an iron or single wall steel stove. At 450F, you're just starting to pre-heat the thing.

I don't know why you would need to paint the inside of a masonry fireplace but the smell should go away after a few more days. In the meantime did you try opening the flue to draft the fumes out that way?

Get an electric heater in there. It just needs to dry / cure.

Thanks for the insight. We painted it thinking it would look less used and therefore less likely to BE used. And it turned out great! Good thinking with the flue. Will definitely try that first and may bring in a heater if that doesn’t do the trick.