Heat Output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zmann96

Oct 21, 2018
Gilford, New Hampshire
I have an older New Englander 25 PDVC I'm guessing around 12 years old. I've replaced the exhaust blower. It's been cleaned. I'm running the factory ( 4-6-1 ) my setting is at 5 - 9. I've tried different settings if I go lower on the fan speed I get clunkers and the pot fills up fast. I have the two hole under the burn plate blocked off. I've drilled a bit bigger holes in the burn plate ( seemed to help a bit) I've tried blocking off 3 rows of holes on the opposite end of the auger on the burn plate.
Issue is my home is 2300 sq ft. first floor is 1300 with only a stairway up but no door at stairway.
I can't get the house above 64 degrees, only on days where it's 35 degrees or higher and then only to the high 60s.
I'm planning on getting a 3000 sq ft stove for next year but for the rest of this season is there anything else I can do? I'm burning Okanagnan Platinum ( can't find the Douglas Fir).
I understand the the house isn't well insulated but am I just asking too much from this stove?

How is your exhaust vent configured? Is the combustion motor the original? The bottom 3 are 5-4-1 and mode D from the factory. If the combustion blower is not weak from age and the impeller is in good shape not worn thin. The flame is burning good, busy and bright? The pdvc is a small stove but when they are clean and burning right they heat very well. How does it burn on 9-9? If that isn’t enough try putting it in C mode. That is the mode for the pdv and it will use more pellets. But not knowing your homes draft, insulation, floor plan its tough. You just may need a bigger stove. Pdvc is a 1500-1800 sf, 35k-40k btu’s

How is your exhaust vent configured? Is the combustion motor the original? The bottom 3 are 5-4-1 and mode D from the factory. If the combustion blower is not weak from age and the impeller is in good shape not worn thin. The flame is burning good, busy and bright? The pdvc is a small stove but when they are clean and burning right they heat very well. How does it burn on 9-9? If that isn’t enough try putting it in C mode. That is the mode for the pdv and it will use more pellets. But not knowing your homes draft, insulation, floor plan its tough. You just may need a bigger stove. Pdvc is a 1500-1800 sf, 35k-40k btu’s
My 3" exhaust goes directly thru a cement board into my chimney and up about 3'
Yes original combustion motor.
Not sure about mode, have never seen a mode on the board?
It's burning busy and bright until the tray builds up with clunkers, clean it and it's back to busy.
My stove is supposed to do 2200 sq ft ? It's a good size but old.
Never tried 9 - 9 .how do I put in C mode or for that matter how do I find what mode it's in?
The downstairs is all open except for bathroom and washer and dryer room , upstairs has 3 bedrooms with two closed off and one bathroom.
Hey thanks for the reply

I wouldn’t change the mode if you haven’t run the stove on a higher heat range, do that first! To change or ck the mode shut stove down unplug for 5 sec, plug back in and within 3 sec push blower up and down buttons at the same time hold for a few seconds then release and the mode will be displayed in the heat range window.heat range buttons change the settings.

I wouldn’t change the mode if you haven’t run the stove on a higher heat range, do that first! To change or ck the mode shut stove down unplug for 5 sec, plug back in and within 3 sec push blower up and down buttons at the same time hold for a few seconds then release and the mode will be displayed in the heat range window.heat range buttons change the settings.
Ok, I'll try the higher range first . Hey, thanks for this help much appreciated

The manufacturer rates that stove for 1500 sq ft only and that`s under ideal conditions so you can expect less.

What brand of pellets are you using?

Have you tried other brands of pellets?

I only ask because I found that my older 25-PVDC gave off more heat depending on the type of pellet I burned.
Went thru a few (Green Supreme, Stove Chow, Lignetics, whatever-the-heck-TSC had, before zeroing in on the regular hardwood Energex in the green bag. And then I only will run it at 4-9 at max.

clinkers are biproducts in the pellets like binders, sand, bark, grease, fingers, arms, shirts, lol who knows what else.

Have you tried other brands of pellets?

I only ask because I found that my older 25-PVDC gave off more heat depending on the type of pellet I burned.
Went thru a few (Green Supreme, Stove Chow, Lignetics, whatever-the-heck-TSC had, before zeroing in on the regular hardwood Energex in the green bag. And then I only will run it at 4-9 at max.
Gee...Good to know. I look for that around here. Thanks
What brand of pellets are you using?
I'm burning Okanagan platinum can't get it in DF

The manufacturer rates that stove for 1500 sq ft only and that`s under ideal conditions so you can expect less.
OH! well then.....I guess I'm doing OK trying to 2300 sq ft. really thought they said it was 2200.
Pellet stove 2.jpg

add on internet said this ?
Englander
2,200 sq. ft. Pellet Stove with Louvers

ratingLarge.png
(28)

• Holds approximately 60 lbs. of fuel
  • Easily heats up to 2,200 sq. ft. of space
  • Includes and integrated control panel for easy operation

Last edited:
OH! well then.....I guess I'm doing OK trying to 2300 sq ft. really thought they said it was 2200. View attachment 236883

add on internet said this ?
Englander
2,200 sq. ft. Pellet Stove with Louvers

View attachment 236885
(28)

• Holds approximately 60 lbs. of fuel
  • Easily heats up to 2,200 sq. ft. of space
  • Includes and integrated control panel for easy operation

Hold on ! The above stove looks to be the 25 PDV and NOT the 25 pdvc.
The stove pictured is good for 2200 sq ft according to the manufacturer. That stove is a bear of a heater too. Lots of heat and a good blower. I`m familiar with it .My neighbor has one.
I have the 25 PDVC in my workshop which is a smaller version rated for 1500 sq ft and puts out considerably less heat than the 25 PDV.

Last edited:
Hold on ! The above stove looks to be the 25 PDV and NOT the 25 pdvc.
The stove pictured is good for 2200 sq ft according to the manufacturer. That stove is a bear of a heater too. Lots of heat and a good blower. I`m familiar with it .My neighbor has one.
I have the 25 PDVC in my workshop which is a smaller version rated for 1500 sq ft and puts out considerably less heat than the 25 PDV.
Yeah, just haven't got it dialed in yet. I've done some searching and I cleaned it out good this morning ( 5 hours ago) changed the mode to C, set the factory to 3-9-1 and the top to 5-9 so far it's pouring out heat and very little ash on plate. it's getting up to high 30s today so i'll dial it back until tonight when it goes down to 13. I may have to tweak it a bit more but I think with the help of everyone here I'm on the right path.

Wow knowing the right model makes a big difference. Now plug the holes under the burn plate and it will do even better burn wise.

I would call Englanders,and ask for Mike,seems to me there were a few more mods that can be done to the older units,he may possibly also recommend a control board upgrade.

After blocking the two bottom holes with round magnets, I also closed off some of the wear plate holes to improve burn efficiency on my 25- pdv. If you look at the burn center on the wear plate, you'll see that you will get a circle of burning pellets in front of the auger tube, with ash all around it. I blocked off all of the wear plate holes around this circle with stove cement, to force more air up through the wear plate. You can use high temp foil tape underneath, to block the holes temporarily first. If you like the results, you can use the stove cement.

Attachments

• 20181113_173756_Burst01.jpg
    20181113_173756_Burst01.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 125
After blocking the two bottom holes with round magnets, I also closed off some of the wear plate holes to improve burn efficiency on my 25- pdv. If you look at the burn center on the wear plate, you'll see that you will get a circle of burning pellets in front of the auger tube, with ash all around it. I blocked off all of the wear plate holes around this circle with stove cement, to force more air up through the wear plate. You can use high temp foil tape underneath, to block the holes temporarily first. If you like the results, you can use the stove cement.
What a great idea. easy enough to try. Thanks

Reactions: Hot Foot