heat reclaimer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whathe???

Dec 4, 2008
MI
We bought a heat reclaimer it worked great ! For about two months. When we one day opened the door to put a piece of wood in and yes , it is dry, when all of a sudden a bellowing smoke blew out and about knocked us out. Of course shut everything down and try to figure things out. We had just cleaned chimney pipes and stove before installing the heat reclaimer less than two months ago. That is when the arguements arised. "it can't be plugged" , "well something aint drawing ", check the wood , its fine back and fourth till finally standing outside in fifteen degree weather, snow blowing up every opening of our jackets, we put scarfs around our faces and cowboy up and took any wood and coals out , we let the stove cool. As we pulled apart the chimney and saw nothing which proved one point, we put it back together and took apart everything inside. OMG !!! THE HEAT RECLAIMER WAS PACKED , STUFFED FULL OF BLACK SOOT, CREOSOTE JUST NASTY. How !!! everything was clean prior to adding the heat reclaimer, we burn good dry wood, and nowhere else was there this nasty stuff. We put everything back together and lite the stove . Yep , works like a charm ! Now , nowhere in the directions does it state that this thing collects creosote ! There is so much stuffed in it we are not sure we will be able to use it again. Now the close to 200 bucks spent on this "wonderful thing" that could of been used to lets see...... PAY THE PROPANE BILL ! is now sitting because we can't seem to get all the nasty out of it. We really thought this thing did a great job. With one person unemployed and the other knocked down to part time cutting corners everyway possible is the main focus. We have had this stove for three years and really cut down on the propane usage. The problem it is in the living room and the bedroom and bath at the other end of the house is freezing. All rooms not in use the doors are closed, including this computer room that I am sitting in trying to type this before I lose all feeling in my fingers. Two things the heat reclaimer worked great, when it worked, and does anybody have any idea on how to clean the heat reclaimer. the chambers, pipes inside make it difficult to get anything in it. Don't know if we will put it back in, cleaning it twice a month in fifteen degrees or less weather is not the idea of how one wants to spend on the weekend.

Ouch, that's not wonderful at all.

Most of the folks in this section don't use such devices.

I can think of a cure for the soot issue, it won't work for any of the true creosote that might be inside the device.

If you have a leaf blower and can do a bit of pipe adapter building you can use that or a very strong shop vacuum to suck the soot out.

What happens is the air flow gets constricted and cooled down going through that device. It will need regular attention and a reduction in slow firing time in the stove.

I've seen creosote "sweeping" logs advertised on the tube, have no idea if they work or not.

An aside I haven't played with a wood stove in ages so I might be a bit rusty on newer things out there.

When I had my airtight woodstoves, we had single wall pipt to the wall thimble, then triple wall out, 90 degrees and up to the cap. Once a week, we'd leave the damper open and let the creosote burn out. We had one year burning some crap wood, and we'd burn anything that we bought some crystals that you'd toss in on the fire once you got it going. At the end of the season though, we had a pretty clean chimney.

Thank You all for your help. Sorry for posting in wrong forum, first time and highly ticked off. Lets not mention the eyes and throat still burning from the little mishap. Great idea of blowing it out ! We heard about those logs on tv but, like we heard about the "OLE GREAT HEAT RECLAIMER", and gun shy now. It is now sitting there in the garage waiting on the desicion of what to do with it besides blow it up or take it back (if they will). We have fire going now, yipeeee, unfortunetly not distributing the warm air like the heat reclaimer did, but it aint a smoking like the reclaimer did either. So, we are thankful.
The stove does have a blower on it , it just doesn't get the heat anywhere else besides the same room the close ajoining room.
The mention of "crystals"? guess we start looking to see what is out there to clean this thing and maybe try again. Maybe not.
Once again thank you for everyones help and ideas.

My Dad has used a heat reclaimer on his smoke dragon for about 15 years now... maybe longer. They used to make them with a knob you could pull. I believe this knob was connected to rings around each pipe that would run the stroke of each pipe and knock the creosote off of the pipes. Eventually it got so gummed up that the knob couldn't be pulled. He got the creosote out somehow and now runs a small chimney fire to burn the creosote off each week or so. FYI - He swears by the reclaimers worth.

THANK YOU ! we thought the reclaimer was great when it was working too. But boy , when it wasn't , it was a mess and could of ended totaly different. So , a knob ? Will have to look into that. It makes sense at least you would be able to knock the stuff off. We never seen anything like that , well not yet. Thank You for you quick reply.

No ,it is a heat relcaimer by Vogelzang. As far as the research goes on this model. Nope they do not make one with a cleaning rod. So, this one gets kicked to the curb and maybe try the Magic Reclaimer. Who knew there were so many different types out there ? GEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ, should of done more and better looking. DUH. Thank You

I'd forgo the heat reclaimer route. You just had a bad experience with that one and are lucky you didn't create a chimney fire and burn down your house. Those things are only good for an old fashioned non air tight stove that burns a hot chimney. Even the ones with the cleaning rods plug up and are a pita to take apart and clean.

EPA stoves are engineered to run lower stack temps and keep most of the heat in the stove. They are very draft sensitive and the stack heat reclaimer's rob way too much heat from the EPA stoves and cause sluggish burns and more creosote.

Try moving the heat from your stove with an ordinary box fan on the floor pointed towards the stove room. This will move the denser cold air to the stove where it will get heated by the stove, rise and move outward to replace the cold air.

Looking at the price on one of those talked us right out of it ! Plus we agree, with you, leave it out and be safe. In my younger days, I had a house fire and you never forget anything about it , even that smell. Funny, you should see me around here when I smell something burning that does not smell like wood. I start opening up doors/windows and chucking things out. People laugh at me , but geezzz I lost everything and sure as heck not going to any extra chances now. Having this woodburner in the living room was a trama for me. I must check it every three min when I am home. And to ever leave it burning when gone. HEAVENS ! THAT PUTS ME INTO SHOCK! LOL But like you said they make them better now and this is a lot better and safer than the silly fireplace they had in that spot when we moved in.
Yep, stick to the fans. Save the money and the house ! Thank You for you time and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.