Heat Shield for my Morso 2110?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChairCabin

Jun 18, 2018
West Elks, CO
Greetings,

My wife and I are building an off grid cabin @ 9700' in the Central Mountains of Colorado. It will be seasonal use and our Morso 2110 will be the lone heat source. We are going with a robust insulation package.

We are putting our stove in the SE corner of the cabin. There is a large bank of windows right next to the stove to the South. Drawing attached.

I am debating the need for a heat shield. Any advice? We can meet the Morso setbacks as it is drawn, but curious about the impacts on the window bank over time. And it is appealing to use the heat shield as a heat bank and to have hanging space for drying out ski gear.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 10.11.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 10.11.02 AM.png
    270.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 10.11.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 10.11.25 AM.png
    329 KB · Views: 185
Welcome. It looks like the cabin will have about 800 sq ft of space to heat, is that correct? The Morso 2110 is a nice, small stove, but unless this cabin is only going to be used in mild weather only, I would consider a different option. The cabin may be well insulated, but it also has a lot of glazing which is going lose a lot of heat. Our friends have a 2110 in a yurt. It's ok for heating above freezing but below freezing it needs to be re-fed every few hours. That leads to a lousy sleep schedule and a lot of oscillation in room temp. (I have done this and didn't enjoy it.) I'd recommend a larger stove like a PE Super27 or Alderlea T5 or a catalytic stove like the Blaze King Sirocco or Ashford. Either will provide overnight burns.

I'm not keen on the idea a heat shield doubling as a drying rack, especially close to a radiant stove like the Morso. The Alderlea and Ashford are cast iron jacketed stoves and will be much less radiant, especially at the rear. This will have less drying effect on the woodwork supporting and sealing the windows behind the stove. Also, I'd use double wall stove pipe for less radiant heat from the pipe and better operation. The high altitude location means that more flue will be needed to draft well. 9700' is quite high. Double-wall connector will assist draft by keeping the flue gases hotter.

Thank you @begreen

Our 2110 has been installed in our house in Denver for the last 2-3 years. The stove is great, but the burn times are not all that impressive as you noted. I was hoping we could get away with it given the insulation we are working with. There is a lot of window so i do think it might be best to size up and go with a stove with long burn. Thank you for the model suggestions. The PE Super27 looks like a good option for us.